10-8 Tactical Saved My Rifle

After getting caught in one heck of a rainstorm while training with Charlie Mike Precision, the factory finish on my Savage Model 10 FCP-HS was trashed. Thankfully the master of Cerakote over at 10-8 Tactical hooked me up!

2 Likes

A rainstorm trashed the finish on your rifle? I’ve sat and carried guns in a helluva lot of rain and never trashed a finish. I’m callin BS on that one. it already needed re bluing or your just advertising for the free cerakote job.

4 Likes

nope, got at least ten witnesses on this one. this rifle has never seen any type of weather in the years i have owned it, pretty day shooter only. stayed in a case until time to go to a bench, that was about it. so we are down training a few months back. we thought the storm would go around us… we literally had dozens of rifles on the line working a long range class. none of those where even close to being as bad as this one got. well, it is not go around and caught us with our pants down big time. everything was soaked, including us. there was no way to dry anything off, no room to do it in vehicles and again, everything was soaked. so we drove back from the range where we were shooting, nearly 3 hours. by the time we got there this rifle has massive surface rust going on. i disassembled everything i could, grabbed a rang and began wiping everything down and applying some more oil to it. as i wiped, finish literally came off in spots. i gotta say, i am not so happy with the factory finish on this thing considering the price point. so, did the best i could in a bad situation. got home… another 8 hour drive, got unpacked, took the rifle out and more freaking rust. went through the wipe down again and even more finish came off. it was crazy and it sucked. typically i am like you, people grip, complain, have problems, etc and i never have any of those issues. but this time,yeah, my luck ran out i guess. was it freaking acidic rain or something? maybe, that thought had crossed my mind, was it just a combination of moisture, temperature, humidity, pressure, time, etc that was the absolute perfect cocktail? maybe, now you might be right, maybe there was something going on all these years prior to that day. maybe the cleaners or oils or whatever i had used weakened the finish some how. hard to say but it is all good now. on that last note, yeah, they agreed to fix me up if i did a video, that is how most of this stuff works. companies do not do work or send out stuff for testing and review just to be nice, they typically expect some type of content out of it. And in the end, it does give some insight to the process which i had little knowledge of before hand. it is not a difficult process but to do it right, there are a few little tricks.

3 Likes

Liberal rain from CA, sent to destroy

7 Likes

BINGO, never thought of that, we were not far from Austin, so maybe it originated from there. LOL

4 Likes

That finish didn’t look trashed. Looks a lot better than some of mine I shoot a lot. Couldn’t see a flaw none sitting there. ah well i’d say it was bad too for a free finish. you shoulda got the stock done too since it was free.

4 Likes

didn’t want to do the stock. nothing was wrong with it. the creative license on this was pretty much left to 10-8, why, because they were generous enough to work with me on this project. color schemes and such are a matter of personal preference too. you are correct that it does not look that bad but for a rifle that has $1,500 in it… it was bad, again, from my perspective and in my opinion. close ups of the barrel, floor plate, magazines prior to painting would have been a good thing to have and show how bad the finish was removed in spots. but alas, that was an after thought that i kick myself for not doing. actually, wished i would have gotten a picture of the face @GhostTactical made when he first seen just how bad the rifle was. I think he may have freaked out more than I. LOL

3 Likes

I thought they only did sights?

3 Likes

Unlike CloverTac, apparently there is more than on 10-8 Tactical. LOL

3 Likes

I am outta beers Chris so here is :beer: Now get out and test that new finish.

4 Likes

just waiting on another rainy day! :wink:

3 Likes