10mm, a wimpy 41 mag

Isn’t 10mm closer to .357 magnum in terms of ballistics?

5 Likes

Yes it is, as well as 357 Sig
But the 10mm can push a bigger projectile

5 Likes

Both the 41mag and the 10mm were conceived to meet similar objectives, and both failed, due to realities their idea people failed to take into account. Both were conceived as improving performance upon current cartridge availability, yet the result in both cases was something that missed the mark.
The 41 was introduced at the end of the revolver era, and was simply too much for any police agency. The 10 was tied to its platform, and was simply too little to deliver on it’s promise. The 41 wound up creating heavier and weaker large frame revolvers, which put it up against the 44mag., and achieved nothing.
Just like the 41, the 10 proved to be too much for the cops to handle, so enter in the 40S&W, which is only a short 10.
Boutique loads have brought the 10 back into general awareness, but there is still absolutely no point to choosing one over more accurate and more powerful revolver rounds in the outdoors, or a lighter kicking round for pistols to handle 2 legged threats.
The only possible exception to this has to be the Freedom Arms 97. This gun is actually a sensible choice for the 41mag, and can pretty much get the most out of the cartridge. Honestly, I don’t know if they even offer this anymore, and as the price of even used FA guns places them in the holsters of the very few, this combination will hardly be influential with the gun buying public.

7 Likes

10mm fits in my 1911 :yep:

7 Likes

I like my 10 mm longslide. I know, sacrilege.

8 Likes

Sweet. ports shoot a nice V flame?

looks like an 80 build?

5 Likes

Not sacrilege at all. It’s one fine pistol. Makes my Glock 40 look terrible. But when i wanted to get a 10mm the Glock really was the best buy. i got it blue label for $529 out the door. It’s a shame i lost it on that got hunt in the Florida swaps though. :grin:

6 Likes

Air boat flipped? Lost mine when a gator swamped the sled.

4 Likes

All 70.
15.9g AA#9 powder does have a little poop left to work the ports.

155 XTP

5 Likes

The 10mm EAA 6" Hunter is on the list but this a lot closer to the top…

Taurus Raging Hunter .44 Magnum Revolver. An awesome gun for hunting, or home defense

Taurus 444 Raging Hunter Revolver

• Price: $749.99
  • Barrel: 8.375 inch
  • Total: 3.44lb
  • Capacity: 6
7 Likes

Revolvers may be more powerful and accurate but capacity and follow up shots matter more when dealing with people. There’s a reason almost no professional instructors with credible backgrounds recommend them for defense against people. There’s also a reason almost no mil uses them including the guys that get to choose their own hardware.

.40 sw was a big failure though there’s a reason 9mm took over again. .45 acp is still going strong though, it’s proven and it’s now known as the fat and slow boomer round. 10mm is actually growing in popularity due to its Jack of all trades nature which also makes it a little more stout than what you need for humans and a little lighter than what you need for animal defense(in the lower states).

5 Likes

I am warming up to .45 colt for revolver use, if you are going to be limited to 6 rounds might as well make them hard hitting rounds. The limit being a .500 mag , tried shooting a 6" one awhile back and was less than accurate with it.

7 Likes

I’ve shot tons of .40. As long as law enforcement agency’s keep using .40 it ain’t going nowhere.

6 Likes

Most switched back to 9mm after the FBI did. Not that all wanted to. One of the local cops seems pretty disgruntled about it lol

5 Likes

I have no problem with a forty. More accurate with the CZ 75B than the CZ P09. But at 25 my Mozanbiques are nearly always 2 center mass (x ring) and 1 to the face. Rinse and repeat til it locks back :wink:.

Not sure what the problem is…

For me the 9mm is faster back on target. Maybe that’s it.

Stopped is stopped, and dead is dead, but I ain’t switching back.

5 Likes

That’s my packin pistol suburban and woods.
Ruger, Ruger/ FA/ TC only magnum pressure loads. Getting 300 gr XTPs out the end near 1200 fps.

45colt1.8x72

7 Likes

Corbon has a load for 45colt that is 300gr @ almost 1500fps. My Ruger likes that load too. But then again if I’m hunting I’m packing the 454 w/the 9.5" barrel.

7 Likes

I can’t imagine shooting that load out of my 4-5/8" Blackhawk. Dial 911 first. My 300 gr load has H-110 packed tight to the base of the 300 gr XTP, and the nose of the bullet is almost flush with the face of the cylinder.
I have a FA 454, 7-1/2", nice holster, but like the lighter weight and quick presentation of the Blackhawk for all day packing. If I’m not packing a long gun I’ll grab the 454.

6 Likes

Might be a good place to point out that all Ruger single actions are not capable of digesting those stout loads.
The loads that are stoked to Als’ specifications can only be used in the full sized frame. Mid size Rugers are strong, but not strong enough for such pressures.
Probably best to use a rule of thumb here, when one mentions “45 Colt Ruger loads”, just figure they are loading for guns cataloged in both the 45 Colt AND the 44 magnum. No 44mag version means no stout loads.

5 Likes

Add to the confusion, Ruger has 2 vaqueros, one large frame and one SAA sized. The old large frame Vaquero can handle the hot loads, the New Vaquero will not. Good advice about the catalog. I believe I read none of the 45 colt Redhawks are designed to handle the stout loads, the metallurgy of the 44 Stainless and the 45 Stainless are different. Some data does not call out the Blackhawk specifically, but this if from a Hodgdon page:
" Notes: The data is intended for 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk, Freedom Arms, and Thompson Center Contender/Encore Handguns. Max pressure, 30,000 CUP. DO NOT USE THIS DATA IN ANY OTHER MAKE OR MODEL OF FIREARM."

6 Likes