10mm Slabside

Thanks!
About 10 hrs of pure stress.

Like it grew on the tree that way.

Stan Chen next.

7 Likes

Another example of your hard work and attention to detail.

7 Likes

Cut the frame for the Chen Gen 2 Magwell. Lot’s of blending next. Done for the weekend.

7 Likes

@Mosinvirus
Looking at the front strap where it meets the magwell, looks like I need to radius cut the whole front strap?

I yiyi…

6 Likes

I would put the grip scales on first. See how it looks, then decide.

Perhaps a small chamfer on the edge between the front strap and side will do.

The worst thing would be to change the radius of the front strap and then see the grip scales “floating” over the radius.

6 Likes

Copy that. Reached out to Chen to see if they have one that doesn’t already have the reliefs. Pretty unusual frame.

6 Likes

Did a bunch of googling images and pages.
Apparently there are 2 common 1911 radii, 10 mm and 14mm.
10 mm closely matches mill spec and meets the flat almost tangent. 14mm has the sharp edge.
Looking at 100s of photos of Chen and other installs, the good photographers seem to shy away from angles where a gen 2 hits the 14mm radius, but did see a couple where it was just left like mine.

6 Likes

I just had an idea… especially if you will be treating the front strap to some texturing…

A relief cut on the bottom of the front strap.

Mine was a smaller radius so i didn’t run into this issue, but if i had, i would have probably done a small “undercut to stop the checkering maybe 1/8” above the magwell

Found kind of an example on 1911addicts.
The relief cut wouldn’t be floating, instead it would transition into the top of the magwell, but a good visual representation.

And you would take it over the edge unlike the above

7 Likes

That might work.

6 Likes

Some drilling and tapping after work last night.

7 Likes

Practice on some front strap treatment

Getting a fixture set up

Think about it a little more and then make some chips tomorrow.

7 Likes

Great to see more progress.
And that texture is awesome.

6 Likes

awesome, get those fish-scales and chain link methods down and then teach the rest of us :hugs:

5 Likes

Spending hrs looking at images on the web. The RifleShooter got me pointed in the right direction for the golf balls. His setup looks a bit beefier then mine but the amount of force on the fixture seems minimal, I should be OK. His front strap radius was small enough he could put the axis on the fixture bar, I had to offset axis for the 14mm radius.

5 Likes

8 Likes

That is super sweet

Now, lets see one where you can read 10mm in the bare area :hugs:

6 Likes

Still wishing for a laser…

6 Likes

WOW! Very nice work, great project @albroswift.

5 Likes

3 hrs to make the fixture for 30 minutes work.

6 Likes

Looks good.

5 Likes