10mm

Ok getting interested in possibly trying out something in this caliber. Any suggestions? I tend to lean towards a 1911 style pistol more than likely a 5 inch or possibly a 4 inch. What do I need to know and watch for? I’m hoping to find something in about an 800ish price range but that isn’t set in stone.

7 Likes

Honestly even loving 1911s like I do and not liking Glocks I still bought a Glock 20 for under $600. It was a great decision.

Otherwise if you’re set on a 1911, these are pretty fantastic to shoot.

https://ruger.com/products/sr1911Target/specSheets/6739.html

8 Likes

I would second the Ruger 10mm 1911. They make a solid gun that’s not too expensive. I once saw one at a gunshow for $589. I still kick myself for not buying it then. I was on the hunt for something else that day and passed on it. :sob:

7 Likes

That is a fantastic price. I would of bought it at that price and did the Dillon conversion on it instead.

6 Likes

I’d also like to recommend the Tanfoglio Witness in 10mm. The downside is now that the word is out these are starting to get pricey. I blame people like Iraqveteran8888 and those large podcast (influencers) who go on and on about the CZ and clones being awesome (which they are).

https://eaacorp.com/guns/handguns/witness-steel-full-size-tanfoglio-52

6 Likes

I tested three different handguns and more than 20 different loads.

https://tactical-reviews.com/usgunblog-com/f/springfield-armory-1911-trp-10mm

You will also find articles to the ammo I tested. RIA makes a great 1911 10mm handgun.

10 Likes

10mm

and perhaps one of these platforms

9 Likes

Guys thanks for the suggestions. Having trouble finding the ruger locally but I think the rock island might not be as hard. Anyone have experience with it?

5 Likes

Single stack and very impressed with it,

don’t care for the full length guide rod for take down reasons but they are reported as a superior upgrade so :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Yep, very good handgun. I have one of them.

5 Likes

Some people are telling me that the RIA has magazine issues? Is this anything you guys have heard or experienced? Is this something that someone read or experienced and then others just regurgitated?

3 Likes

All 1911 pistols NEED Wilson Combat magazines. Then there are no magazine issues at all.

4 Likes

It seems like you should buy a gun made for the 10mm, not one adopted for it.

4 Likes

That’s not an easy statement to argue and those are my choice

1911’s Achilles heel is quality mags, once you have those its pretty much smooth sailing

4 Likes

The only gun “made” for 10mm was the Bren 10 That was decades ago. Magazines for the Bren 10 were all but non existent.

2 Likes

I’ve not seen any issues when using their magazines. I did have problems using springfield magazines.

2 Likes

That is pretty much my understanding as well. I honestly think the 1911 platform should be able to handle the 10mm fine.

4 Likes

Delta Elites has some frame cracks early on

2 Likes

And the Glock 20. The 21 was adopted to .45 auto,

2 Likes

21 came out in1990… 20 came out in 1991 so again 45 converted to 10mm

4 Likes