11 MOST IMPORTANT GUNS IN HISTORY

7 Likes

Perhaps this will make the list someday? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

7 Likes

Quite possibly…

6 Likes

Agree with all but the Uzi. The Mauser model 98 should of been in its place.

3 Likes

I would not agree with the list at all.

IMO in order:

1. Colt Revolver
  2. Henry Lever Action aka Repeating Rifle
  3. Mauser Bolt Action
  4. Luger Pistol P 1908
  5. Browning 1911
  6. Garand Rifle
  7. Gewehr 41
  8. Simonov SKS
  9. AK-47 Kalashnikov Action
  10. AR-10 Armalite AR-10
  11. Glock

All other firearms of consequence were developed from these designs.

2 Likes

My list would be MUCH closer to Grenz45 than the original post link.

British Long Land Pattern (“Bess”)
First Swiss rifled rifle
Colt Walker

1 Like

What, no Red Ryder bb gun? How many of us were introduced/learned/ poked our eye out with the Red Ryder?

7 Likes

other than the Colt Revolver, Mauser, AK or AR10 nothing else on your listed developed into anything else other than icon.
had you said Browning 1910 - spawned the 1911 (which is only important to Americans) TT33, Radom P35, Star B, eventually the Browning GP35 and every other tilting block pistol (including the Glock)
Winchester (aka Browning) was more instrumental on the lever gun and the MP43/44 over the GW41
I would have went with SVT38/40 over the SKS even though the SKS was the general issue Warsaw weapon up to the late 60s

2 Likes

^ This. After mulling it over I want to add the Sturmgewehr StG 44 / MP43/44 to the list. It is self explanatory.

—————

Off topic a bit but speaking of the StG 44, I would sell one of my kidneys for a real wartime used one. I think I should of bought that semi-auto one last year. I wonder if they are still available…?

edit
Nope, HMG filed for bankruptcy. Oh well.

1 Like
2 Likes

Yep, I know where ones at…but it’s gonna cost you two kidneys.

3 Likes

A kidney and a lung ok? I’ll throw in a super healthy testicle since I’m not having any more children.

3 Likes

Next time i’m in there I will see what it cost. didn’t look to be in too bad of shape. i’m sure it’s more than I would pay for one. Thanks to our gooberment for screwing up ownership of them now, except for the filthy rich.

3 Likes

It is a shame. The likelihood of someone using a historic WWII automatic weapon for a crime is next to 0%. I will eternally hate everyone responsible for 1934, 1968, 1986 and 2002. And yes that includes Reagan and Bush. If someone doesn’t know what happened in 2002 shame on you.

5 Likes

You’ll shoot your eye out.

1 Like

The list is complete garbage.
If you are looking at the most influential/important guns then you need to look at what they introduced and how did they influence the gun industry.

1. Hand Cannon - first gun, I agree with this one.
  2. Flint lock
  3. Percussion lock
  4. Colt Patterson Revolver - first commercially successful revolver.
  5. Henry Rifle - really the first successful repeating rifle.
  6. Gatling gun
  7. Maxim Gun - first successful mg.
  8. Luger - first military adopted semi auto pistol
  9. Browning 1911 tilting barrel lock up used almost universally today.
  10. M1 Garand - First general issue semi auto rifle
  11. STG44 or MP44 - first successfully adopted assault rifle, extensive sheet metal stamping design
  12. AR-10 - first military adopted rifle to incorporate aluminum and polymers
  13. HK VP70 -first polymer framed pistol,

The Colt single action was anything but revolutionary, every aspect of it already existed.
The AK47 might have been produced in large numbers but there is nothing revolutionary about it either.
The 98 Mauser maybe prolific but it was the end of the bolt action line not the beginning.

4 Likes