1911 a1 build

Started a few builds during quarantine time
Mostly just fit slides to frames by hand files and stones

12 Likes

Nice, I really wish there were more high quality GI style 1911s. They are usually the budget line. I prefer shooting them and I prefer the aesthetics just need a bobbed hammer or it bites harder than @Joe s mom during playtime.

11 Likes

I’m not going to derail this thread. Maybe a glock thread but not this one. Let’s see a build

11 Likes

You better not derail it. Just pay attention.

11 Likes

I haven’t decided what way to go yet actually
I may just put a beaver tail and a commander hammer in

11 Likes

There are a few builds going on at the moment in the board

8 Likes

Excellent work and progress. Main part is done!

7 Likes

Thank you sir

My pistol smith friend has been giving me a hard time latley to buy a mill
I can’t seem to convince him that I don’t want to do it that way
It’s called hand crafted for a reason I keep telling him

10 Likes

Well, a jig or mill would be used for main operations. Hand fitting is where it counts.
But, with a mill you could do very many different things, unlike with a jig.

8 Likes

I agree I guess I’m just a gluten for punishment
I like hand fitting slides to frames with files
I love smashing my hands with mallets and my hands being sore lmao

10 Likes

Some pics of operations

10 Likes

That is exactly what I mean, we are using Jigs, but could be using a more versatile tool to do the same job as the jig. Rest of operations would not change.

6 Likes

Granted the slide to frame fit on this a1 took 11 hours and still isn’t 100% yet there still a slight hang up when it’s all the way to the rear

With a mill I’m sure it would have been done in under a hour

7 Likes

Usually that hangup is caused by front radius of rails not matching the radius of slide grooves, but it is not something I would alter because a guide rod head will not let the slide go back that far.

10 Likes

That’s what I was thinking as well
I’m gonna keep working the slide and see if it smooths out

9 Likes

Just as a suggestion, put the guide rod into the frame and then put the slide on. Try moving the slide all the way to the rear where the slide dust cover hits the guide rod head and sandwiches it to the recoil shoulder of the frame. You may not have the hangup when the pistol is assembled with the guide rod is all I am saying.

7 Likes

I’ll check that in the morning I locked up the shop for the night
I did get some other stuff done as well

9 Likes

To me, doing it your way makes you appreciate it more, something a lot of people can’t do. Just my thoughts.

9 Likes

@2lazylh I appreciate that
It’s a dying art in a way hand crafted used to mean something special

8 Likes

I agree, when I started watching Mosinvirus on YT and the talent he has with hand tools and files, I thought I maybe can try. But if he would have started builds using a mill, I never would try this my self.

7 Likes