1911 Hammer Jig

A while back I posted about making a set of True radius jigs for the sear. I decided I needed a hammer jig for stoning the flat face and the hooks on the hammer. Having a little extra time due to the Covid I set out to make one. I’m adding some images below with some notes on how to set it up. I’d like some feed back on whether you think it’ll work or not. I find constructive criticism to be a lot cheaper than hammers.

This first image shows the two halves with the hammer located by a gauge pin. The screw is used to adjust the position of the hammer in the jig such that the flat face is parallel. The next image shows this better.You can see that dowel pins are used to align the to halves.

An indicator is used to ensure the hammer is parallel. the adjusting screw is used for fine adjustment. Once parallel there are two screws that can be snugged up to keep it in place. In this position you can also check the height of the hooks with the indicator. You could actually put this in a mill and mill the hooks if needed

This image shows two stone guides clamping feeler gauges to control the amount removed and ensure parallelism. You can also square the hooks with the stone guide.

This image shows the stone in place. This is not the stone I would use this a stone I use for deburring parts

This last image shows the stone guides in position for stoning the top/height of the hooks. A couple of feeler gauges are used to set the height for stoning.

So any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

9 Likes