1911 Officer 80% frames available on Gunbroker

Is there a go to or preferred magazine for the officer model? I’ve been looking at the Kimber 7 round flush fit mags, but what is the opinion of others that have/had one of these already? Any I should definitely consider or definitely stay away from?

8 Likes

Thanks for the photos, bowtie looks good. Now I definitely am getting one.
I would use a quality full sized magazine that you know works good to test, and +1 on the Kimber shorty.
I’ve been carrying an original ultra carry since before Kimbers were popular, and the original mags are still 100% reliable.
Maybe time to replace the springs!

8 Likes

I use Wilson officer size mags in my pistols. They make a 7 shot w/a bumper pad and a 8 shot w/a welded stop so it won’t over insert.

8 Likes

@Mosinvirus Good trick with the cold blue.
@Preyhunter looking closer at the photo it appears the VIS is overbored. Hard to say how much from the photo, maybe optical illusion.
Ill know in a couple days anyway! (I’ll probably be cutting mine for C/P/L anyway)

7 Likes

Got my frame today.
VIS way over bored used a drill tip instead of a end mill. Definitely need to cut for a ramped barrel.
Also, ejector cut not 1911 cut. One big slot not 2 hole. Any one recognize the make?

7 Likes

I believe that ejector cut is for either a Wilson Combat or EGW ejector with one huge foot on it. Bulletproof WC maybe.

Looks like it.

7 Likes

That VIS cut is probably why it ended up on Gun Broken

7 Likes

That’s exactly what it is. These are supposed to be WC frames, according to the listing.

6 Likes

I’ll be watching this thread. Been debay on building one my self but everything will have to be by hand as I don’t own a milling machine.

6 Likes

There’s a matrix jig up as a prize, I have one, works great

4 Likes

Matrix jigs work good.
Only thing lacking is your groove width is set by the cutter, .110 if I remember on mine. Think they have other thickness you can order. A little big doesn’t hurt, just leave a space under the slide, a little tight and a stone or slide file. Even with a mill I still use the decking jig to locate the hammer and sear holes. And they will do stainless frames, the competition does not.

7 Likes

The offier frames will need to be cut for a ramped barrel, the VIS is overbored so it would wipe out the feet on a standard barrel. But that’s how you get a WC for 120 bucks. @Mosinvirus has a video of doing one with a file.
Other then that, buy/beg/borrow/steal a matrix jig set and you are on your way. Remsport has good quality barrels, slides, bushings that don’t break the bank but are way better then Sarco. Nothing wrong with RIA slides either, but I think I like Remsport a little better. If budget is no issue plenty of top shelf slides and barrels out there… Wilson Combat for internals, cylinder and slide for ignition control, Ebay for grips and sights. Should be able to bring one in under $1500.00 or so…:slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’ve got more then one sarco under my belt, and nothing wrong with the roto 2 piece soldered barrel.
That said, recently built a government length Sarco and a commander length RIA/Remsport, same sights, almost identical slide except for length, and the commander shoots circles inside the government.

8 Likes

Both Sarco builds shot at 25 yards. Keep in mind that I am a below average shooter. I build more than I shoot. The non-compensated 1911 cost me less than $400. The compensated one was about $600. I have thousands of rounds through both of them with no problems.

8 Likes

Thanks for the reply. That’s the kind of info I’m looking for.

6 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking, how in the world did you do it for less than $400?

7 Likes

For a while there you could do a Sarco kit on a Advanced Armory cs parkerized frame for about 375.
Had to upgrade to a Wilson sear spring, just couldn’t go with the Sarco, still under 400.

7 Likes

I bought two blemished Tactical Machining Frames for $70 each. They were in very bad shape. The Sarco kits were a bit cheaper than they are now. I got the ambi safeties from CDNN for $20. I forgot where I got the knockoff sights, but they were pretty cheap too. The finish is rattle can appliance paint baked to 500 degrees Fahrenheit for less than $5. I upgraded the sear springs with ones from Harrison Design.

7 Likes

Thanks for the info. I checked out there website, no bad. A lot better prices than I’m used to seeing. I’d like to do a full size alloy frame with a commander size 45 upper for a EDC. I’ve learned more on here in a few hours than I’ve been able to find myself in 6 months. Still a lot to learn.

7 Likes

One of the “Right Directions” I can point to is to the 1911forum.com! When I feel like taking a real beating I post over there. Man, those guys zoom in on your pictures and comment on things you didn’t even know were things! Some real 1911 experts that don’t mind sharing.

7 Likes