1911 Sights

Hey All,
Looking for recommendations on Novak style sights for a Government length build. The slide is from a 1911 Builders kit and supposed to have Novak cuts.
I mainly confused on the hight options options. Different heights for the lengths of slides?
Thank you!

8 Likes

It also kind of depends on the fitment of the barrel to the slide. Not all slides are machined equally also.

The best way to go is to identify the rear sight (assuming not adjustable) you want to use, and once the pistol is ready for test fire use the cheapest front you can find.

Then test fire at whatever distance you want to zero your pistol to and based on the POA/POI relationship and knowing the height of the front sight (measure it yourself) figure out the needed height of the front sight.

There are calculators out there if I remember correctly that will take your input and throw out the needed height.

8 Likes

Appreciate the input! I was going to ask you directly but didn’t want to keep bugging you as I know you’re busy. :slightly_smiling_face: Thank you again!

8 Likes

I agree with the advice given… :+1::+1::+1:

6 Likes

https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/

7 Likes

Unfortunately some vendors sell only sets. Then I guess put cheapos on both ends and calculate from there. The TFX Pro’s I wanted to use on a build are that way, discouraged me from buying. I would have been happy buying a set and then a second front if necessary, even after phone call to real person and email from real person they would not sell front only.

7 Likes

Brownells should have individual sights, if not them then Springfield Armory will. I bought their adjustable rears direct from SA. they were also the cheapest adjustable out there.

7 Likes

Probably everyone sells singles except for the one I wanted!

6 Likes

I know Chip McCormick sells individual fiberoptic front sights.

6 Likes

I have an old Springfield armory 1911 that came with a staked on front sight and a dove tailed rear . The front broke and I took it to the gunsmith at bass pro in Springfield Mo . He had a rear sight that would fit the origial dove tail and cut a new dove tail for the front . When he got done it shot to the sights and cost $150 parts and labor . And they are night sights.

5 Likes

I wanted a TFX pro front only. Tritium/ fiber optic. I’m over it now. Maybe get a complete set later.

6 Likes

I have TFO’s on a Glock. Green dots day or night.

6 Likes

Yep I like them. The P9’s Tritium work ok but I think the TFX is pretty good and work much better.

These are interestimg, I think I am going to give em a try on the 75B first before I do anything with the P9. Really thinking about a new slide thats cut for a red dot with a 9mm barrel eventually. We’ll see how this works on the 75B, who knows I may think these are the cats meow.

5 Likes