1st Local USPSA Match of the 2022 Year Tomorrow!

Everyone that I know and shoot with has been there. You’ll do better, I guarantee. Hang in there!

I’d like to get to B or A, I’m a C shooter now, but since I can’t run to cut time it’s up to me to reduce malfunctions* and I did that late last season so I see B in the near future. In Steel Challenge I shoot on a par with master shooters and there’s only one stage in SC where movement is required. I’d do better if I practiced more but competition is my practice for competition.

If it was easy it wouldn’t be a challenge or enjoyable. At my age I like to know that I can still sorta keep up to people <1/2 my age . I’m actually better today than I was when in my 20s. I just wish I could get into the prone, but I can’t. The neck won’t do it.

*The past 2 years I’ve had malfunctions with a firearm that shouldn’t malfunction. It was my butterfly fart ammo at fault and I was too stubborn to disassemble it and reload it. It worked in testing at home but in the PCC it gave random and not many malfunctions. Just enough to screw my times up. I started to load to commercial power levels and the malfunctions disappeared for the last matches of the season. But wow, did I ever like the butterfly fart ammo recoil… just a gentle push.

7 Likes

What power factor are you shooting in PCC? If you’re in Minor, I wouldn’t think even factory loads would be much recoil in 9mm. We have several guys that shoot Minor in PCC and they are always at the top of the scoreboard.

I have given serious thought to switching to PCC but I would have to figure out how to pay for it. I don’t think a Hi-Point or Kel-Tec would stand up to the rigors of steady competition. The Ruger PCC might be a possibility though.

6 Likes

In PCC there’s no way to get scored major. ALL PCs are scored minor even if it’s an elephant cartridge in a PCC.

You’re correct about the recoil. But still the butterfly fart loads where just so darn nice.

I shot a Kel-Tec sub2k for a few years and it worked fine. The reason I retired it was all me. I’m ex-military and the firearm is either squeaky clean or it’s filthy. There’s just no good way to clean out the trigger mechanism on it. The best I could come up with was a ProLix flush.

So I retired it and bought a Swiss B&T GHM9 handgun that I SBRed. The short barrel works very nicely around barricades and such. The sub2k loved the butterfly fart loads the GHM9 doesn’t. So yes, I’m loading to normal power levels.

I did get pissed last year at the malfunctions, so loaded some to just shy of being major power factor. Yup, they worked too. :grin:

I have a friend who shoots a Ruger PCC but he gets malfunctions. I asked him when the last time was that he cleaned it and the reply was “Never”. He shoots maybe 20,000 rounds a year and he’s had it for 3 years. So while he gets malfunctions it’s probably not the fault of the gun.

My Kel-Tec only malfunctioned when I tried to feed it aluminum cased ammo. Other than than that it ran like a Swiss watch all the time. A gent who also shot PCC with us was having malfunctions with his SIG and he turned to me and said," Maybe I should get a Kel-Tec!".

7 Likes

I find this interesting. I’ve heard people tend to have more issues with them if they are using the Glock mag adapter rather than Ruger’s own magazines. Although, I could see where not cleaning the gun may cause a few malfunctions as well. :rofl:

6 Likes

I have a Ruger PC9 with 4,000+ rounds down the pipe. Malfunctions are few and far between with Glock mags. I heard that people have experienced issues with stovepiping due to the factory extractor quality, but not me. I installed the heavy-duty extractor from M-CARBO upon purchase and she runs great. I’ve experienced only one stovepipe malfunction to date, which happened yesterday during a Steel Challenge match. Aside from that, I have experienced a very small number of failures to go into battery. Overall I am 100% satisfied with the PC9. Many of my shooting buddies have expensive AR-style custom guns, and they malfunction way more than my budget gun. I do a full disassembly and cleaning every 500 rounds or so.

Anyway, are you guys staying active with competition this year? I know it’s tough with ammo and fuel prices. Our club has seen a drop in participation for sure. Our match had 50% fewer participants yesterday. :slightly_frowning_face:

7 Likes

No time. Been to busy working my ass off.

6 Likes

With medical issues I haven’t been attending matches lately, but at the start of the season I did notice a drop off in attendance. The complaint I heard was lack of primers. But cost of ammo for non-reloaders has to be a factor I would think.

The next matches I will be able to attend are in August. There are matches to attend in July, but I just don’t have the stamina for high stage count matches and one will be just that, and the other will be IPSC and if I read the rules correctly my PCC is unwelcome there.

6 Likes

Haven’t been to a match in a couple of months now. This new job I’m working is really draining me of the energy to do much else. Plus the 3 weekend months screw up my schedule. I have to wait until August or September before the matches line up with my weekends off again.

8 Likes

Same here. I had a late start to the competition season. My job has been really busy during the last few months, but things are calming down now. I had Covid after Easter, which put me even more behind. My symptoms were mild, but I had to stay home for a week. It took me about four weeks to catch up after that viral vacation. Ugh.

6 Likes

Yeah the chyna virus sucks donkey. We lost a teammate on Friday, only 26yrs old. We have the rest of the team on vication.

5 Likes

RW, that sux. Any known comorbidities? Or did he take the jabs?

6 Likes

Seen some really big healthy people end up close to death who did, brain bleeding, blood clots, just nuts they did pull through

How sad

5 Likes

We believe he was Jabbed. High School Jock. A fitness phreak, engaged to be married, he was a 2nd yr apprentice. Good dependable hard working guy. Crazy, died in his sleep. His fiancée came home from work and found him.

5 Likes

That sucks.

4 Likes

Yes it does. Especially for her and his family.

4 Likes

My heart goes out to them.

4 Likes