2021 civil war : AR vs AK and why the FAL sucks...

The bullpups… either the IWI X95 or the Desert Tech MDR…
I WILL GRAB my AUG or my FN FAL or FNC Para too…
I run around with an LWRC as some of you know… but I do have the “AK” type weapons… out of them, the IWI is the best.

9 Likes

They are not wrong,imo the AK is a simpler more robust design,it makes sense.

The whole AR is unreliable and the AK inaccurate is overblown though.

9 Likes

Feeling is mutual , bruh

7 Likes

Hahahahah I hate AK accuracy or lack there of. The IWI Galil ACE is ok… but they are NOT tack drivers.

10 Likes

The M1 Garand was the standard battle rifle from 1936 to 1956.

M1D

There was a funny story a WWII vet told me. They had a hot shot shooter who did 1000 yard shots with his rack grade M1.
One day he say a German officer stand on a box yelling at the troops. They figured he was 900 yards away. Hit him right between the shoulder blades.
A few weeks later they had captured that unit. The Germans were complaining that some ass hole shot there chaplain…

11 Likes

Great rifle… in school we shot them out to 1200 yards.

9 Likes

:rofl:

7 Likes

I agree with @SteelPinger in liking them both…however, I think I’d be just the opposite on choosing the AK for the city and the AR for the wilderness bugout.

On another note, I think it’s funny how most negative comments on the AK are about how it’s a crude commie gun built by retards with hand tools…and yet it seems to have taken decades for American manufacturers to figure out how to build one that’s almost as good as a WASR.

7 Likes

I can’t get it out of my mind that AKs are just crap. Yeah, I know they have their good points. I also know that it’s a hangup of mine. But of the 2, AK or AR, I have to go with the AR. But given other choices (depends on what I’m doing) I add other guns too, like battle rifles. I’m currently in deep like with bullpups, SBRs, PCCs, and arm braced handguns.

11 Likes

Not surprising , its a hobby gun for us its a military rifle for commies

10 Likes

Also Wasrs are as hardy as they come but they are crude.

5 Likes

Interesting series of articles, before anyone says “the militaries needs are not yours” the author goes over the croosover of combat with competition shooting and how his builds are similar for both then goes over mission dictating gear and set-up.

9 Likes

Interesting article. Funny how a lot of this stuff transfers over to predator hunting as well…(at least in my area)

I typically run either a straight 3x scope, or 2-7x variable and keep it set on 2x

I’ve learned the hard way back in the day, that having tons of magnification will absolutely mess you up when stuff is on top of you and moving fast. You almost always have time to dial up on long shots, but never on the close stuff.

Another personal observation is that the 55 grain 5.56/.223 hp or sp is only super reliable on expansion up to around 200-225 yards from a 16” barreled AR.
After that, it’s a crapshoot. I don’t need a ton of magnification to make shots at those ranges. YMMV

10 Likes

Its called mall ninja. When you take a light weight carbine and load it up with junk its no longer a light weight rifle.

Not even going there.

Did you know they make a no lube BCG? I have one. A Sharps balanced and DLC coated needs no lube.
ROCK ON

11 Likes

AK accuracy isn’t that great because most people are using cheap import ammo. I got some hand loads for my AK that group really well. 123gr. .310 hornady zombie bullets. ZMAX

9 Likes

That is true. Most 7.62x39 is just crap ammo. Get ahold of some Lapua ammo… hahhaa I run that in my IWI

8 Likes

I have had great success with 62 grain HP rounds out to 450 yards. Better yet, the heavier 68 or 77 grain stuff.

9 Likes

I have to disagree on the ammo being crap, True it is very cheap, but why do Ruger Ranch rifles shoot so well with steel cased ammo ? mine easily shoots MOA at 100 yards with that crap ammo, the issue is POS barrels on most AK’s, PSA is now using a FN barrel and those rifles shoot much better. Commie guns have such loose tolerance bolt to barrel so they will feed and shoot under bad conditions combined with a crap barrel means sub par accuracy. Piston drive systems have never been known to be accurate due to stress on barrel also. Piston AR’s never caught on big due to accuracy issues, cost and they did not work any better than a DI gas gun. You can build an AR with a few hand tools, not so much with an AK, Field repair of an AR is easy, AK basically impossible. I have both, but when the chips are down my AR is what I will carry.

10 Likes

While I see your point , as both you and that author say “mission dictates gear”

A peq laser is a huge force multiplier if you run night vision.

A weapon mounted light used properly is a force multiplier (Dont run it like youre one of the Hardy boys searching for lost treasure)

Optics I dont like the way scopes balance a my rifles , I run Iron sights, a Red dot or maybe a Fixed prism scope.

I can run those accessories plus a grip and be well under the weight of a stock battle rifle. Those things only weigh a few ounces a piece.

For the author scopes make sense he engages terrorists out at 500+ yards in the Middle East. Way different then most people’s needs.

Technology has its own pros and cons though, I like Irons and a light for my defensive rifles…I sort of dropped off the red dot wagon in favor of irons awhile back though. Prism scopes weigh a few ounces depending on the model. I have only had crash courses on nightvision and PEQs though.

9 Likes

try a 5.56 or .308 AK… I thought it was pretty nice, the irons sort of suck at anything but CQ though,imo

7 Likes