.223/5.56 vs 5.45x39 - thoughts?

This a good video on the topic at hand

Whats wrong with that thread? Im not sure what “cat piss jack” is but it sounds derogatory.

1 Like

Barrier penetration sucks with either 5.45 or 5.56, thats most likely why the military wants to switch. They literally blab about the new 6.8 being able to “defeat any body armor”. Ive heard its going to be an improved 6.8 SPC 2.

I think 5.45x39 has a slight advantage over 5.56 if we are talking about the cheap fmj 55 gr stuff but 77 grain or any of the premium stuff is far superior to either, imo.

2 Likes

Research Bulgarian 7n10
This is modernized 5.45

1 Like

Oh, i liked the thread. Im not an AK guy though.

1 Like

Cat piss jack or capt. jack
Was a memeber that always cried his woes on the forum
He sold his rifle to pay for a roof or something
So the brotherhood at Akfiles got together and built him a rifle free of charge

He went and traded the rifle a week later or less for wheel gun and tried to say that he didn’t
He is reviled now and one of the reasons we are building a new Akfiles rifle is to wipe away his stink from our forum

3 Likes

What a dick

1 Like

7n10? Ive never heard of it. Is 7.10?

1 Like

2 Likes

Neat looking round. I wonder why we are not seeing more domestic msde 5.45? Seems to be a pretty popular round.

1 Like

I’ve often wondered why they don’t make Russian calibers in a more consistent basis
They will now
Sportsman’s guide went up about 20% on ammo across the board today

2 Likes

Whys that?

1 Like

So…

I did a thing…

I can’t wait to get out to the range with it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Awesome looks like a god conversion was done on it
What kind of ammo are you going to run in it ?

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s not a stock Russian AK, which I’m happy with. It has a muzzle device on there and the Magpul adjustable stock (I’m tempted to go folder, but I probably won’t). The trigger on it is also much better than I expected - a little long, but a good weight and pretty darn smooth. Doubt I’ll change it. Oh yeah, and it has an optics mount on the side - not sure if that’s standard or not. I’ll probably end up mounting a red dot or a 1-4x scope, we’ll see. I’m tempted to put a light on it and turn it into a bedside gun, but I’ll need to get some range time behind it before I decide if I want to do that.

Not sure yet, I’ll need to do some research. I’m definitely gonna test out a few different kinds, we’ll see.

I’m very open to suggestions if anyone has any 5.45x39 they like.

Optic mounts are standard for a vepr I’d suggest a rs regulate mount for your optic it’s top of the line imo
Mid west industries makes a nice mount as well and is a bit more cost effective if that’s a concern

Ammo wise for 5.45 I’d stay away from the Hornady for general use its to exspensive for that but a mag or two next to your bedside isn’t a bad idea
Tula is pretty dirty ammo in general but I would suggest the wolf green box(mil spec) or the silver bear
If you can find surplus 7n6 then that’s a mil spec cartridge as well it’s corrosive though so after shooting you would want to use a bottle of water or two to clean out all the salts before heading home to clean it
I saw it has a tapco mag in it there decent range mags but you should look into some Bulgarian circle 10 mags for it they are generally the best polymer steel reinforced mags in the market in the Ak community

2 Likes

Fantastic info. Thanks. :slight_smile:

I’m not an AK guy and even I’ve heard of RS Regulate mounts, so that’s probably what I’d go for.

Thanks for the ammo suggestions. I’ll probably get a few of each and see how they group. I usually pick the cheap-o stuff for training despite poor grouping, but I do like to have some better quality stuff that I know my guns like.

Yeah, the gun came with two Tapco mags, I do plan on getting some higher quality go to mags, though I’ll probably default to the Tapco mags for average range use.

I’m here to answer questions if you have them

2 Likes