.300 Blackout surprised me...(warning, dead critter pic!)

So a while back I decided I wanted to start running a supersonic .300 Blackout for taking coyotes. Been curious to see what the round will do to a yote compared to my .223 or 22-250 that usually end up making a complete gory mess when they’re shot through COM.
So Friday I finally took the .300 out instead of the .223 or 22-250. Well, the coyotes got the best of me, but I happened upon a very nice large Jackrabbit that presented a perfect opportunity to test terminal ballistics on.

Here were the results: (Hopefully I’m not in violation of any forum rules by posting this)

125 grain Hornady American Gunner HP at 82 yards entered just right of the spine at an oblique angle. Bullet did not exit. Left one nickel size entry hole and left all the rest of the critter intact. Absolutely surprised the heck out of me. Figured I’d blow the thing into ribbons, but ended up with a very usable pelt and meat (if I wanted it). Kept the pelt.

Looks to me like this may be a good fur friendly round…(if my coyote results end up the same) oh, and the Jack was DRT, no flipping, flopping or other acrobatics.

12 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face::+1: mission success

7 Likes

I’m totally offended.

Just kidding, nice chootin and really nice it fell right next to that knife.

6 Likes

Yeah, that was amazing! Must have been using the knife to cut up some of that nasty desert grass for lunch :wink:

Either that or it was sneaking up on me with a concealed blade :astonished:

(For reference, that knife is about 6-7 inches long…so you can estimate the size of that critter. )

6 Likes

This is what guns are for, to kill, it is their purpose!! Last i knew, this is a GUN FORUM. If someone here takes offense to this, they are in the wrong place & probably should not be here…

6 Likes

:+1:t2: Totally agree.

6 Likes

I’m surprised it didn’t exit. Click here and cursor down for 100 yd data.

It doesn’t surprise me that it died instantly.

I eagerly await the notification that my .300BLK conversion has shipped.

4 Likes

At over 1000 ft lbs of energy, it surprises me that it didn’t exit or turn it inside out. I didn’t do a necropsy, just skinned it…I guess next time I’ll have to dig deeper (pun intended). My guess is that the bullet completely fragmented. Either way, it dumped all its energy in the target, which is what a well made hp bullet should do.

6 Likes

Nice! That’s a good size rabbit

6 Likes

You got that right, may be a bigfoot rabbit. that knife has a 12 inch blade.

6 Likes

Never having lived in a state with jackrabbits… are they any good to eat?

5 Likes

Never tried it myself, always heard it was tough and gamey. However, a quick internet search shows that there is quite a following for it. Apparently slow cooking it is the way to go, and there are methods to reduce the gamey flavor. Down here it’s always questionable because we just don’t get the cold weather that a lot of other states do…so our parasite season is much longer than in other locales.

3 Likes

It will do the same thing to Whitetails…

3 Likes

That jacks got some big ass ears :rofl::rofl:
Cottontail rabbit’s are very tasty, excellent eating :+1::+1:

5 Likes

Or boiling first, to kill tape worms

4 Likes