300 Blackout vs 5.56mm NATO: The AR-15 Intermediate Cartridge Rumble

I couldn’t believe how loud a crossbow was until I acquired an Excaliber ExoMag. I always thought they’d be quiet but that wasn’t the design goal of the Excaliber people, shaft speed was. Anyway, my neighbor can hear me shooting it 100 yards away. A properly suppressed firearm has the potential to be much quieter, but for that to happen everything has to align.

6 Likes

Yep true that. Even a compound bow isn’t silent. My long bow is pretty good. Need to add some Osage Orange and recurve it to finish. Works as is. Just to busy keeping all the balls in the air right now to do it or a load of others.

5 Likes

Yeah, what they are is quiet without the tax stamp and being in the registration. But they are slow to reload.

When I demonstrated it for a friend he just shook his head. He’d been practicing for years and I just took it out of the box (basically). It’s so accurate that unless I aim off I can do a Robin Hood where I split the shaft already in the target.

6 Likes

On the 300BO even the 16" barrels need to run pistol length gas to run subs and supers. My 8" 300BO pistol shoots both well as does the 16" rifle. I only get about 100 fps more velocity out of the rifle than the pistol w/supers.

6 Likes

No pistol length .308 ARs? Lol

6 Likes

the 300BO is ‘308’, but a pistol length AR10 opens up a slew of possibilities…

6 Likes

Im referring to .308 win. it’s definitely not the same lol I remember an 11" Fal shooting fireballs but the owner swearing it was the ideal close quarter weapon :facepalm:

.300 blackout is a much better CQ round. .50 Beauwolf is my favorite though.

6 Likes

Yep I have 2 12.5" 308 pistols.

7 Likes

My Beowulf is for cars,bears,ect not CQB.

7 Likes

So many enticing cartridges…

Have you thought of one of these…

5 Likes

Never heard of it

5 Likes

It would work for bears driving cars

5 Likes

Interesting cartridge. 5,000+ FPE in a Short Action AR or Bolt. Interesting in a lever, no?
458 SOCOM on the Left, 458 WSM on the Right

4 Likes

That would be a thumper there, kinda like them old single cylinder big cc bikes years ago. if you missed the kick, a trip over the bars was in order.lol

6 Likes

.50 Beowulf is not my idea of a CQB weapon. It’s just too much of everything. Yes, I have one and load for it. It would be great on anything flesh that walks on NA.

For cars one must think to the projectile composition and energy and not the caliber.

6 Likes

the 5.56 does just fine on Deer, killed many with it. the 300 also does, the round that I have seen used on game that does better then either is the 25-45 Sharps. I think a very over looked round.

5 Likes

Yeah lol it’s awesome but probably not practical unless Bigfoot is an issue. I don’t know why but running one of those in a little CQ course was super fun

5 Likes

I can see it being fun JF89. I just don’t want to lose the brass.

5 Likes

Always leave the Shoothouse or range with your brass at the very least…

5 Likes

I don’t

6 Likes