300 Win Mag vs. 300 Norma: Battle of the Sniper Rounds

If you love long-range rounds, then the 300 Win Mag vs 300 Norma is the perfect place for you.

Despite being designed and released decades apart, these calibers are similar in many ways but distinct in others, which makes comparing them an exciting task.

300 Win Mag vs 300 Norma

Though the names are similar, there are a few differences between the calibers that help differentiate the two making them perform better in specific scenarios.

First, we will discuss the differences in the cartridges. Then we will compare them in several categories that matter most to the average shooter and determine a winner by the end of the article.

Let’s get started!

Cartridge Specs

The differences in the cartridges are minimal, but when long-distance shooting, minimal changes matter.

The 300 Winchester Magnum and the 300 Norma Magnum have an identical bullet diameter of 0.308".

The neck diameter of the 300 Win Mag is 0.339", which is slightly smaller than the 300 Norma neck diameter of 0.342".

The 300 Win Mag has a base diameter of 0.532", and the base diameter of the 300 Norma Mag is 0.585".

The case length of the 300 Win Mag is 2.62" while the 300 Norma case length is slightly shorter at 2.492".

Perhaps the most noticeable difference is the overall length. The 300 Win Mag is 3.34" overall, while the 300 Norma is 3.618". That’s a slight difference of just over a quarter of an inch, 0.278" to be exact.

The case capacity is the most significant difference in these magnum cartridge specs we will talk about, but that’s hard to judge by merely looking at the cartridges unless you’re some kind of genius.

The 300 Win Mag has a case capacity of 93.8 gr, whereas the 300 Norma has a larger case capacity of 104.2 gr H2O.

The maximum pressure (SAAMI) of the 300 Win Mag is 64,000 psi, and the max pressure for the 300 Norma is 63,817 psi.

As you can tell, these cartridges and bullets are very similar, but how do they translate to real-world situations?

Recoil: 300 Norma vs 300 Win Mag

Many factors determine felt recoil, such as gun weight, shooter, and bullet weight.

It’s essential to consider the recoil because many shooters prefer less recoil. That’s why you’ll see muzzle brakes on a precision rifle to reduce the recoil as much as possible without sacrificing the bullet’s effectiveness.

A rifle with lower recoil is easier to be more accurate with, and it’s more enjoyable to shoot because your shoulder isn’t sore after a few rounds down range.

The 300 Norma Mag has a typical recoil energy of 25.9 ft-lbs; however, that can increase to as much as 35.5 foot-pounds of energy when you increase the bullet’s muzzle velocity.

The 300 Winchester Magnum’s recoil energy can get as low as 23.5 ft-lbs, but it averages 37 ft-lbs under most circumstances.

Neither rifle is known for low recoil, but that’s what you should expect when you’re trying to fire a chunk of metal long distances.

The winner is the 300 Norma. However, the average shooter won’t be able to tell much of a difference between the rounds when shooting comparable loads.

Trajectory

The trajectory is the bullet’s path to the target. It’s an arch due to gravity, so every shooter prefers a flat shooting round.

The flatter the trajectory, the easier it is to be accurate at long distances because you don’t have to compensate for as much bullet drop.

Both calibers have a flat trajectory because they are intended for long-range purposes.

The 195 gr Hornady ELD-M 300 Winchester Magnum at 600 yards drops 74". At 1,500 yards, it will have experienced -885 inches of bullet drop.

The 215 Berger 300 Norma Mag at 600 yards drops 54.7". It will have -610.5" of bullet drop at 1,500 yards.

The 300 Norma easily wins this section with a much flatter trajectory.

Accuracy: 300 Win Mag vs 300 Norma Mag

The accuracy of a round is dependent upon many factors; however, for the sake of keeping things simple, we’re basing our judgments on recoil, bullet trajectory, and the shooter.

If the same person were to shoot each caliber at the exact distances, they would find that the 300 NM is much easier to be accurate with because the 300 Win Mag doesn’t have as flat of a trajectory, and it has more recoil.

The 300 Norma Magnum wins this section.

Ballistic Coefficient

The ballistic coefficient (BC) measures how well a bullet resists wind.

It’s how aerodynamic a bullet is. A high BC is preferred because the bullet will fight the wind better.

Generally, a heavier bullet will have a higher BC because it takes more force to move the heavier bullet off of its flight path.

Bullets of the same caliber will have differing ballistic coefficients, so I’ll list a couple of examples to give us a good idea of what we can expect.

A 300 Win Mag 200 gr Berger Hybrid Target has a BC of 0.64, this is one of the heaviest bullets that can be reliably fired from a 300 Winchester Magnum, so this is also one of the highest BCs of any 300 Win Mag bullet.

A 300 Norma Mag 230gr Berger Hybrid bullet has a BC of 0.743.

The 300 Winchester Magnum is blown out of the water, despite having a high ballistic coefficient.

As another comparison, the two primary loads for the 300 PRC (another long-range caliber) are the 212-grain ELD-X with a BC of 0.663 and the 225 gr ELD match with a BC of 0.777.

The winner is the 300 Norma.

Stopping Power: 300 Norma Mag vs 300 Win Mag

The sectional density (SD) is the measure of how well a bullet penetrates a target. This is extremely important when hunting big game because you need a bullet that can puncture through thick hide, bone, and sinew to have an ethical kill.

Sectional density is calculated by comparing the bullet diameter and the bullet weight. The higher the SD, the better the bullet penetrates the target.

Since both rifle cartridges fire the same diameter bullet, they will have similar sectional densities. However, the advantage goes to the 300 Norma because of its heavier bullets.

The 300 Norma Magnum wins this section.

Barrel Life

Barrel life is something precision shooters track meticulously. The most significant factor affecting barrel life is the ammo’s powder charge.

A higher powder charge will typically shorten barrel life.

The 300 Norma Magnum and the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum are called “barrel burners” since their 95+ grain powder charges are hard on barrels.

Heavy powder charges, such as these, quickly erode the rifling at the barrel’s throat, reducing downrange accuracy.

The average 300 Win Mag barrel will maintain peak accuracy between 2500 to 2000 rounds.

The 300 Norma Magnum barrel will only maintain peak accuracy between 1100 to 1200 rounds, ouch.

The clear winner with over double the barrel life is the 300 Winchester Magnum.

Hunting

Shot placement is the most critical part of the shot while hunting. This means you need an accurate round.

While the 300 Norma is more accurate, when we consider the maximum range for most hunters is 500 yards, the differences in accuracy don’t matter nearly as much.

The reason I would choose the 300 Norma for big game hunting is because of its increased knockdown power with less recoil.

However, the downside is finding ammo and a rifle you’re willing to carry through rough terrain. We will discuss this in more detail a bit later.

I would choose the 300 Win Mag because of the availability of the hunting ammo.

You can hunt any game species in North America with a 300 Norma or a 300 Win Mag, from whitetail deer, mule deer, elk, bear, and moose.

Honestly, the animal will not be able to tell which caliber you used, and it ultimately comes down to how much money you want to spend.

I’m giving this section to the 300 Win Mag because the ammo and rifles are more available to hunters.

Home Defense: 300 Winchester Magnum vs 300 Norma

When it comes to home defense, I prefer not to use a rifle. While an AR-15 chambered in 5.56 or 223 is an outstanding urban combat weapon, it still runs the risk of overpenetration when defending your home against an intruder.

Now step that up in power to a 300 WM or 300 NM, and you can easily penetrate the neighbor’s walls.

This is why I recommend using a shotgun for home defense. It doesn’t put your family or neighbors at such a high risk of being accidentally shot due to overpenetration.

For self-defense, I recommend using a pistol chambered in .45 ACP or 9mm.

I’m not saying I wouldn’t use either of these calibers to defend my home. Because if I only had one option and the 300 Norma was it, then you better believe I’m using it to protect my family, but I must be aware of the dangers it poses.

This section is a tie because neither caliber is ideal for home or self-defense.

Ammo Cost & Availability

If you were starting to think I’m just a fanboy of the 300 Norma, then you’re about to learn why I won’t be buying one anytime soon.

Ammo for the 300 Norma Magnum is nearly twice the price of 300 Win Mag ammo, and it’s regularly out of stock.

One round of Berger Match Grade Ammunition 300 Norma Magnum 215 Grain Hybrid Target will cost you $6.00 if you can find it.

The reason is that the 300 Norma is not as widely used. It’s a specialty gun primarily used by long-range shooters and the military, so the military gets priority on receiving ammo.

The primary brands that manufacture ammo for the 300 Norma are Norma Ammunition, Federal, and Berger.

The 300 Win Mag is a much more affordable round.

A round of Berger Match Grade Ammunition 300 Winchester Magnum 185 Grain Classic Hunter will cost $4.00, with many other options even cheaper.

The typical brands that make 300 Win Mag ammo are Nosler, Barnes, Norma, Hornady, Federal, Remington, Berger, Browning, Fiocchi, and Winchester.

With so many more manufacturers making ammo for the 300 WM, it’s easy to see why it’s so much cheaper and more abundant.

The 300 Winchester Magnum wins this category.

Rifle Cost & Availability: 300 Norma vs 300 Winchester Magnum

The high-price trend continues when we discuss guns chambered in 300 Norma.

Most 300 NM rifles are custom built, so instead of finding them for hundreds of dollars, be prepared for thousands of dollars.

Barrett Firearms and Christensen Arms are two primary firearms manufacturers making a rifle chambered in 300 NM.

A new rifle will cost anywhere from $2,700 for a Christensen Arms BA Tactical to $5,000 for a Barrett MRAD to $15,500 for a Barrett MK22.

The number of rifle manufacturers willing to make a 300 Win Mag is substantially larger.

Bergara, Christensen Arms, Howa, Weatherby, Savage, Tikka, Browning, Mossberg, Remington, Franchi, Ruger, Benelli, and Winchester make rifles chambered for 300 WM.

The price ranges from a $300 Mossberg Patriot or $2,000 for a Browning X-Bolt or $2,500 for a Christensen Arms MPR.

The 300 Winchester Magnum is more widely available at a price more firearms enthusiasts can afford.

Reloading

If you’re looking to save money, then reloading is often the way to go. Even if you buy 300 Win Mag ammo in bulk, you can still save money by reloading the brass once you’ve used it.

Handloading is the best way to control the variables within your ability to control; this is why precision shooters always prefer handloading their ammo over factory ammo.

The 300 NM and 300 WM are both reloadable, meaning you can find the equipment and supplies you need to reload them.

It will be a little easier to find the supplies for the 300 Win Mag but not enough to declare it the clear winner.

This section is a tie.

300 Win Mag History

Introduced in the 1960s, the .300 Winchester Magnum is a descendant of the legendary .375 H&H. With a reputation for being able to take any game animal in North America; the .300 Win Mag quickly gained popularity amongst hunters.

The enthusiasm for this caliber didn’t stop with the average citizen. Competitive shooters enjoy the 300 Win Mag, thanks to its flatter trajectory compared to the 308.

The U.S. Army converted its sniper rifles from .308 Winchester to the .300 WM cartridge because it can engage human-size targets up to 1,200 meters away. That’s 50% farther than the reach of the .308 Winchester, which is itself a highly effective sniper rifle cartridge.

300 Norma History

The 300 Norma Magnum is a relatively new cartridge since it was released in 2012 by Norma Ammunition. Its parent cartridge is the .338 Norma Magnum (a wildcat cartridge of the 338 Lapua Magnum) necked down to accept .30 caliber bullets.

It’s quickly gaining popularity in competitive shooting circles as a top-notch long-distance rifle.

The United States Special Operations Command (SOCOM) chose the MK22 Advanced Sniper Rifle chambered in .300 Norma Magnum as one of their primary sniper rifles.

Though it hasn’t stood the test of time as the 300 WM has, it’s off to a great start.

Parting Shots

When we compared the 300 Win Mag vs the 300 Norma Magnum, the 300 NM won 4/11 categories, and the 300 WM won 4/11, with the remaining three categories ending in a draw.

It’s no surprise since they’re so similar.

However, I would purchase the 300 Winchester Magnum for hunting or long-range shooting now and then.

If you’re a serious precision shooter, then the 300 Norma Magnum is the way to go.

300 Win Mag vs. 300 Norma: Battle of the Sniper Rounds originally appeared on Ammo.com

5 Likes

I wonder how they compare to the .308 Norma Mag based on the 300 H&H case? I was in high school ('60s) when my brother brought a Parker Hale chambered in it home and it was brutal on the shoulder. It had a belt and I know it was supposed to head space on that, but I wonder if my brother knew enough to headspace on the shoulder (I didn’t). I remember it using 70+ grains of powder. That thing was a beast!

5 Likes

Nice write up again.

Well it wouldn’t be either one for me. The 300 NM given it’s action punches under its ‘Action Class’, and the 300 PRC punches above. Standard action vs Lapua Magnum. The 300NM is ‘Rumored’ to be hard to tune, have bolt thrust and pressure issues. The 300PRC is barely able to fit in a standard action, and is even somewhat limited by it.

IMO the 300NM has far to little velocity return for the extra case capacity, not to mention its excessive case growth. That is unless you AI it, that seems to solve those issues. But the AI’s straight walls and sharper shoulder angle do more than add a smidge to the velocity. If a 300 NM can be made to get 100-150 more than a 300 PRC, the AI might get 200-300 more than the PRC.

They both are accurate AF. Both supersonic well past 1000 at sea level. But why would I still take the PRC over the NM AI? Rifle weight and recoil. Not that I wouldn’t like a Lapua Magnum action, I just would just nut up for the 338LM.

4 Likes