.308. versus .277 Fury

I found this test. They are never conclusive but interesting. I was never going to go away from the 7.62x51 as my primary weapon system anyway.

8 Likes

7.62x51

8 Likes

Hand loaded either one is even better than that there shows…

Comparing 277 vs 277:

The 6.8 Western will send a 165gr .620 BC at 3000fps out of a 24".

The 277 fury launches a 140gr at 3000fps out of a 16" barrel, but can’t shoot the 165s.

The Western is a better long range cartridge and the Fury better for AR Large Frame Fare.

Of course Sig had to Cross things up…

7 Likes

I’m still trying to figure out what they are doing. What sold them on Cig’s cartridge. Same case. Same mag capacity. Same recoil. Just go with the 7.62x51 and use the bi-metal case if they have something in mind that we don’t know about.

When you get up around 80,000 psi or higher, how long will the rifle last?

Maybe someone can clue me in.

7 Likes

Still trying to figure it out. The theory was a rifle to do it all. Me thimks they missed the mark. To heavy for CQB and not enough range for great armor penetrating Overwatch.

I like the caliber, but IMO they should have gone with a few different cartridges using the bimetal case tech. More of a toolbag approach rather than a pipewrench to do it all.

7 Likes

I’m not sure either. As a grunt, I like the rifle. Shot the 308 version. I’m not sure what they are trying to do with the .277 caliber. There must be a cartridge/bullet configuration we haven’t seen yet. A concept that hasn’t been revealed. It will not penetrate personnel armor as it sits now.

7 Likes

It’s not going to do this

7 Likes

Because of twist rate ?

6 Likes

Less than 1,000 rounds there is a barrel life formula . That will tell you very closely what it will take to ring the good outta one

5 Likes

https://pierrevanderwalt.com/elementor-3527/

6 Likes

Then they are wasting their money if true.

5 Likes

Well, yes and No… to the average occasional shooter who generally uses such a beast for long range hunting I say you would be hard pressed to burn one out. Counter that with the competition long range bench shooter. I am told they know it will butn out expect it to and plan ahead for just such a situation.

4 Likes

I was looking at military shooters. My single stack that I use for major will probably never wear a barrel out.

Figure rifle qual one a year. His training and the shooting associated with that. If they all get out after enlistment, that leaves a barrel per grunt.

5 Likes

Nope, ogive in the neck. The case is designed for the 130-140. Might get some of the 150s in it.

4 Likes

Oh okay but as far as twist rate slow enough if it was posssible it would stabilize?

5 Likes

I aint familiar with twist rate in either of those rounds :thinking:

5 Likes

The 6.8 is 1:8, or 1:7.5. 65k psi, with 74gr H2O capacity.

The Fury is 1:7 80k PSI with 54gr capacity.

The Fury does have 150 loaded for it, and the Western has a 175 grain loading. Both of those are the top end for them in factory I think.

6 Likes

That 6.8 Western seems so intriguing to me. Think I am gonna do some research :thinking:

5 Likes

I’ll stick with 308 between the two, but the 7mm PRC looks to be a very good round has some impressive ballistics, not to derail thread, but Belt-Fed taught me derailing threads a long time ago. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

@Belt-Fed strikes again … its the thread derailing Ghost of Belt Fed :joy:

5 Likes