308 Win vs 300 Win vs. 338 Win for Elk

7 Likes

I have only been on two Elk hunts in my life, .300 Win Mag blows .308 out of the water though, imo. No idea about .338 win mag though, only .338 ive shot was a lapua and it was at targets but it wouldve probably worked great.

3 Likes

All 3 would be adequate with the right bullet I think.

4 Likes

Most elk hunters seem to go 30-06 or .300 win mag.

.300 blackout is close to 30-30 or 7.62x39 ballistics right?

4 Likes

Similar I think. Trying to remember a famous hunter (from ?) that took all North American big game (& i believe internationally also) with .270 130gr. Jack Oconner?..

5 Likes
5 Likes

My granddad Bud was a born and raised Alaskan,a real woodsman type from what my grandma says. He took a grizz with a 30-30 , not something I would try. Also took moose with lighter calibers. Had tons of rugs and mounts that my grandma would go on and on about.

He died before I was born though , a Sears truck ran him and my grandma over. Would’ve been a cool guy to know from the sounds of it though.

5 Likes

Your grandpa sounds like an interesting fellow. He proved it’s all about shot placement, not necessarily caliber. But I’ll side with you on the grizzly, definitely want a little larger than the 30-30 :rofl::skull_and_crossbones:

5 Likes

Sorry to hear that! So, the song was a lie?

4 Likes

It sounds like he was just being young and dumb, some people steal beer trucks, some do drugs and others chase bears with deer guns.

4 Likes

Probably, the full story is sad. Basically he used to take my grandma to go shopping and was backing out in a parking lot and a Sears truck ran over him. My grandma being 4’11 lived but him being 6’3 he died. The one time they took my grandmas little gas friendly car instead of the truck resulted in his death. See people ,always drive a truck.

My grandma was in a comma for several years though from what I hear then had to go home just to find all the Christmas gifts still under the tree :grimacing: , no wonder she could be such a bi…errr…“wonderful lady” :grimacing:

Theres irony in dying from a Sears truck after a lifetime of hunting dangerous game.

4 Likes

Your Grandma and Grandpa sound like good people!
Grizzly, moose and Elk have been taken with 30-30-30w for a long time…
The kill shot is at the end of the vid, using the BuffaloBore 190 grain custom Hawk bullet in 30-30w https://youtu.be/6xZsgwPlLM0

5 Likes

They were from a bygone era, my grandma to this day never got with another man and my grandad died in '85 (or around that time). How many women would do that now of days?

Good dude from the sounds of it but a hardass that worked hard , lived rough and died with the woman he loved, guess its not such a bad death. I mean it could’ve been worse, he couldve died from a Wal Mart truck

5 Likes

There was also some guy who used to kill a lot of Elephants and such with a 7x57…Most people will shoot the 308 better due to less recoil and hopefully make a better shot in the vitals.

5 Likes

I have taken Elk and all I ever use is a 270 win. The right bullet and shot placement is what you need not a magnum that you are afraid of .

6 Likes

I would hunt elk with 5.56 if I was allowed to but .300 win mag does the job better. Headshots are headshots , its the center mass shots where bigger bang comes in handy,in my opinion. More trauma and blood loss happens from the more powerful rounds.

5 Likes