44 Not So Special???

Words to live by :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Why can’t we have a Special Magnum or even a Magnum Special?

4 Likes

Back to hell with your liberal calibers demon!

5 Likes

:rofl:

5 Likes

Because chicken and steak don’t mix.

4 Likes

Hamilton Bowen Keith #5 44 Special

Started life as a Blackhawk 44 Special year 2009
Bowen was going to build a true Keith #5 for a raffle, 9 months later he had fitted the Powers Custom #5 grip frame, spun the barrel, forcing cone, action job, signature front sight, oversized Belt Mountain base pin, but ran out of time before replacing the Ruger cross pin with a #5 base pin latch. Heck of a nice shooter. Close as I’ll ever get to the Grand Old Master’s Sixgun.

Bisley cut at the top of the grip and the Super Blackhawk plow. Keith’s design and in his opinion this was the last word in SA grip frames.

Powers Custom Keith #5 grip frame, made from tracing’s of the original.

What I believe are American Holly hardwood grips. The story goes after ivory was banned, some of the premium grip makers, rather then using a block of plastic, started using Holly. Ages well, takes on a yellow hue much as aged ivory. That’s the story anyway. I’ve seen it on 1911 panels before but I personally haven’t seen it on the SA revolver. Reaching out to a couple of Texas grip smiths maybe find out who PEP was.

7 Likes

What is different, or, makes it a custom frame?

4 Likes

The Bisley top over the Super Blackhawk plow is the difference externally. Company that makes them use to be called Powers Custom, now Ron Powers and his son are Grand Masters LLC. Different spring angle and base block, set screw hammer stop internally. Here is something from American Handgunner

Bisley

Super Blackhawk

Bisley grip/ #5 frame

6 Likes

From Taffin’s Single Action Sixguns

5 Likes

#5 is my fav from the group

4 Likes

#5 with the holly grips is number 1 here too. 1st I have heard of them. I like them!

6 Likes

I stand corrected

Dear Sir:
Thanks for your inquiry.

From the look of them, I would say these are of white micarta. They were made by Paul Persinger of El Paso, TX.

Hope this will help.

Sincerely yours,

Hamilton S. Bowen

Bowen Classic Arms Corp.

7 Likes

These guys might be able to hook you up.

I am going to keep Holly Grips in mind for something in the future. I like it.

6 Likes

The Micarta looks nice, has a bit of an aged look, (Actually they look exactly the same as when I thought they were holly :slight_smile: ) but if I go to something else it will have a longhorn or eagle or something similar.

7 Likes

I’ll just about bet that when Mr. Croft got up the gumption to show off his genius, and got in with Mr. Keith, he was hoping it would lead to something more. I doubt, however, that even had an inkling it would lead to all this.

7 Likes