45-70 gov reloading powder

I am currently experimenting with reloading 45-70 gov. I shoot a marlin 1895 SBL and using Hornady FTX 325 grain bullets. My first reloads so far are used with the Reloader 7 powder. I’m looking for an accurate shot up to 300 yards.

Is this the best powder to go with for this load or is there a better option? I’m semi new to reloading. I’ve reloaded lots of .223 rounds but I never really reloaded for accuracy before. The next round I want to reload is a .338 lapua but I need a different press for that. Suggestions on a press for that round would be appreciated too.

3 Likes

My son just loaded some for me using trail boss and 400 gr projectiles. I’m shooting them in a Springfield 1873 trapdoor so not going to load them hot.

1 Like

Maybe you should introduce yourself to us first

1 Like

I had an introductory post earlier. But I will introduce myself again. My name is joe

1 Like

Trail boss is a nice soft shooting powder, but probably not going to give you 300-400 yard range (Unless you have a 4" ladder sight). Without putting the specifics into a calculator I would guess your drop with that powder bullet combo would be about 8 feet at 300 yards. Lots of powders work well with 300 and 400 gr bullets, FTX specific loads list I-4198, H 4198 , AAC1680 RL-7, Genaric 300 to 400 gr bullets there are literally 100’s of powder/ bullet combinations that would work.
We really like the 405 gr Laser Cast over Varget in the 45-70, no leading, good SD’s, and good velocities, and not very expensive. Heck of a kick, however. I have some 325 FTX’s, TAC-TX’s, and hornady 350 interlocks loaded up for the SOCOM so next time at the range I’ll run them by the LabRadar so I’ll have some good data on those pills in the near future. (458 SOCOM, real similar to the 45-70 ballistically speaking)

1 Like