5.56x45 Zero

How do you guys and gals zero your rifles? I usually shoot Federal Lake City or Frontier 55-grain NATO because it is (or was) cheap and readily available. After studying the trajectory data, I decided to zero my rifles at 100 yards for this ammo.

The 100-yard zero gives me a +/-1 inch drop between 50 and 150 yards, which is where I normally shoot anyway. Plus, the drop is only +/-2 inches from point blank range to 200 yards. To me that seems like a good all-around zero for everyday plinking or SHTF. What do you guys think?

10 Likes

I will start.

derail

:laughing:

12 Likes

That’s not fair, that puts us back on track

9 Likes

My hunting rifles I put about an inch high at 150 yards. now when the trees get taller and I can’t shoot 700 yards I will put it back at 100. I still have to do some kentucky windage at that distance

8 Likes

wait, nevermind mine are not 5.56

9 Likes

Dead on at 35 yds. That gives me hits in a 10" circle out to 400 yds without changing my point of aim. Paul Harrell has a video on this subject. That’s where I got the 35 yds number from.

13 Likes

This ^^^^^

10 Likes

More good information.

9 Likes

That’s a great idea for my 18 inch barrel upper.

8 Likes

36 yards. I believe it’s called marine zero

8 Likes

I can put all my shots with my 10" in a tight hole, just ask my Southern Belle

9 Likes

@Robert and I are still developing the reality check app. In the meantime, I fixed it for you.

Just joking. You walked right into that one. :laughing:

9 Likes

Better hope you dont!

9 Likes

:rofl:

9 Likes

I was talking about my pistol, get your mind outta the gutter ya perve! :x:

9 Likes

I always use 100 yard zeros. It just works well for me.
223/556 and 309,7.62NATO.
100=zero
200=-2”
300=-12”

4,5,6 hundred yards will depend more on temps, wind, etc.

9 Likes

I start with 25y with a fresh build and optic. Then move to 100y.

Wind. Nature’s a bitch with that wind shit. :face_with_monocle:

9 Likes

Good idea with a new build!

8 Likes

So is age. I can adjust to the wind, but nothing can correct my crappy aging eyes. :laughing:

9 Likes

Saves ammo this way. Especially since some optics I get are so far off it’s dumb.

7 Likes