5.7x28 as a defensive round

Doesn’t the 5.7 have a ridiculous amount of penetration compared to the 9mm?

Need to scour the internets for a side by side gel test!

2 Likes

Yes, but only weights 40-28 grains. I have got to do some tests.

1 Like

I wish we were in the country already so I can get my channel going. I’d do stuff like this often.

3 Likes

Me too Brother! I have to go to the range when no one else is there.

1 Like

Won’t be long I hope before my wife gives us the green light. I’ve been ready for a while…

3 Likes

@Joe-Bob AUTOMATICALLY DISCHARGED
Just now

5 Likes

From the comments section of this video:

“When you mag-dump all 20 rounds of 5.7 into a mugger and then realized it would have been cheaper to just let him have your wallet”

6 Likes

:joy:

6 Likes

The 5.7 was designed for the special ops folks to shoot people wearing body armor. It is designed to blow a hole through and keep going. Some of the newer poly tip ammo might expand better than the original AP ammo. Still I want a cary gun in a caliber that makes a big hole and transfers most or all it’s energy into the target.

9 Likes

I can’t let a 5.7 thread die.

5 Likes

I think if you can get it going fast enough, somewhere around 2000 fps plus or minus a couple hundred, its gel penetration should be comparable to 9mm. It should penetrate less than .45.

That’s assuming you hit the perp. Under adrenaline and without a stock, the miss rate is pretty high for handguns in defensive shootings.

On the other hand, I think the recoil is more manageable than 9. Also, if a bullet misses and hits a wall, I imagine a 5.7 is more likely to deflect safely up or down than a 5.56 as it passes through, because it weighs less.

4 Likes

The Horror, the Horror…

5 Likes

Sounds like death by a 1000 cuts.

One 430gr flat nose (45/70) going 1450fps will go thru 8 feet of meat.
Thats 4 cops side by side.

2 Likes

5 year old thread, but maybe it’ll help someone…

This arrived in my inbox this morning. I wish he had used 9mm ammo in common use. What he used is some off the wall super ammo that is used by not many people and when discussing 9mm vs 5.7 it would make sense, at least to me, to compare what’s in common use.

4 Likes

I see yer point. However I think it was a test. Should have talked reloading and yes used more varied rounds. I think he should done ballistic gel with fabric too. I am not such a fan of hollow points as I once was.

5 Likes

But what about 5.7x28 vs .22TCM9R?

The .22TCM9R loses on magazine capacity because of the larger case diameter, but it fits in 9mm magazines, so you’re not limited to a special frame made for proprietary mags for the long case. Conversion kits have been made for 1911, Glock, and some of the CZ75 clones, though I have been looking for the CZ conversion kit for a while and haven’t found one in stock anywhere.

5 Likes

I did some searching for case volume and found a page claiming the TCM has a case volume 1.3 grains of water higher than the 5.7x28.

5 Likes

The only thing harder to find than 5.7 ammo is 22TCM9R. I have both and shoot 5.7 much more.

6 Likes

plenty of 9R on gunbroker…

4 Likes