5 or 6 to go

There is a subset of gun owners who are generally ignored by the focus on wonder nines, stompin’ sixgun loads, and 10mm everything. You might even have one or two in your own circle. I’m talking about frail and often elderly women.
These people often lack the strength of hand to regularly and confidently rack the slide on a semi auto, much less the physical ability to run shotguns, which are apparently recommended by our pejorative president, before his selection for office, as the ideal personal defense weapon.
I knew a member of this group quite well, and like so many of her brethren, she could easily run a J frame, or K frame size gun in .32 or .38 caliber. The person in question did successfully defend herself with that type of weapon, on one very dramatic occasion.
So, if you have paws like catchers mitts, and the vise like strength to match, then the options open to you are manifold. Yet for this often overlooked and ignored group, self defense is still a basic human right, and for those I know, and have known, it’s five or six to go in the cylinder.

12 Likes

J frame FTW :grin:

8 Likes

Yeah a small DA revolver is definitely a solid choice for those with weaker or injured hands. A SA is no easier to handle than an auto loader though.

10 Likes

I like my Ruger LCR in 38 spl. Trigger is easier to pull than a J frame w/o having to install a spring kit. Fits in the pocket well.

9 Likes

The S&W J and K frames are double action revolvers, with some being hammerless, in the sense that Some of the best triggers I’ve ever experienced were on a long barrel model 10, and a well maintained Combat Masterpiece.
DA wheelguns have long been the ladies choice, when chambered for capable yet manageable cartridges, perhaps one of the best known being the compact British Bulldog of the late 19th century.
I don’t have any experience with the LCR, but I’m sure it’s a solid gun. Personally, the polymer makes me wonder, but if it works, it works.

9 Likes

I have a 36 and a 15. The Ruger is just lighter than the 36. Also the 36 is a an old flat latch. Don’t want that going into evidence if I ever have to shoot someone with it.

8 Likes

I have a S&W M-14 K frame .38 Target Masterpiece. It’s a 6" barrel but is light enough that it has spent a LOT of time on my hip when I’m in the woods for other purposes than hunting big game. Great rabbit harvester, too. Definately my most accurate repeating handgun. I would not hesitate to choose it as a self defense revolver. At room distances the .38 Special speaks well for itself.

7 Likes

Now that the ostensible government and so called justice system have turned against the descendants of those who founded this country, the willingness to employ the best tools for the task at hand has withered on the vine.
That seditious elements have co-opted our lives, is the reason why so many of us have been reduced to trust polymers, lawyers, and law enforcement types as the purveyors of authority. This is bullshit of the worst kind.
Our women require the ability to defend their lives with the best that skill and craftsmanship has to offer. Anything else is betraying human interests, human need, and is akin to sacrificing the next generation on the altar of globalist infirmity.
I am greatly saddened to read that one would not utilize the best to defend life and limb, because a demented rule of force punishes them for doing so.

8 Likes

The sixgun is idea for the elderly or week. And I guess the 5 gun is also. :grinning:

4 Likes

Or the 8 gun! :rofl:

6 Likes

If we’re going to cover all cylinder capacity, then we’ll have to include the 7 , 10, and 12 shot iterations. Ruger does a fine job, as does S&W, in offering these options

7 Likes

@MAK

And 8 (Ruger Redhawk in .357 mag, S&W 648 in .22 mag, etc.), and 9 (Ruger 9 shot .22 mag, for example).

4 Likes

A long time ago I met a elderly lady who could not open a J frame revolver to load it, less alone pull the trigger. She ended up with a Beretta Tomcat 32 acp because of the tip up barrel for loading.

7 Likes

@pcb

The Tomcat is a cool little gun, but has no extractor. So, clearing the occasional jam might be difficult - especially for such a person.

She probably should have looked into the Kimber K6S, instead. Or, the Colt (King) Cobra. Both have great triggers and recoil is nominal.

3 Likes

So how do the empty cases eject?

4 Likes

The Kimber K6S and Colt Cobra were not around when she was looking for a pistol and just like the J frame she would still have problems loading it.

1 Like

@Robert

Looks like he did an excellent job of answering your question.

1 Like

@pcb

So, any revolver is out? How is it she can load a semi auto, then? To me, loading semi autos seems would be more difficult than revolvers.

Also, the Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum (loaded with .32 H&R Magnum bullets), might work. It is low recoil, highly concealable, holds 6 shots, and highly reliable. Plus, the LCR (at least, for the centerfire versions), has a great trigger. And, it is considerably cheaper than the Colt and the Kimber.

The beretta being loaded with the round in the barrel was no problem because you don’t have to work the slide. Her husband sent her in with a request for a J frame, He was a over the road driver and out on the road.
She called him and had me talk to him about her arthritis in her hand which cause her not to work the cylinder latch on the revolver and the trigger pull was heavy on the J frame.
She could release the barrel of the tomcat to load it and run the trigger. He told her to buy it. This was back around 2007-2008 time frame.

3 Likes

It’s straight blow back. Had one for a number of years. Never left an empty case in the chamber. Carried it in my pocket till Keltec came out w/their 32. Keltec was lighter and thinner.

2 Likes