5 out of 6 people will be victims of violent crimes (rape, robbery, and assault) during their lives

Not only are the chances of being a victim of violent crime much higher than I thought, but the CDC tells us that firearms are the most effective tool available for a successful self defense encounter.

“Self-defense can be an important crime deterrent” - CDC Study

“Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was ‘used’ by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies.” - CDC Study

Crossing our fingers and hoping nothing bad happens is not a good way of approaching life.

One of the best ways to reduce violent crime in America is through proficient firearms ownership and carrying.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reminder.
Don’t forget the benefits of staying alert and avoiding trouble in the first place.
And not going places that attract trouble.
These days, that might have to include anywhere there’s crowds and easy victims.
And lastly, of course, know how to defend yourself.
Like the man sez:
Treat everyone you meet with respect, but always have a plan to defend against them, if needed.
And don’t hang out with stupid people who do stupid things in stupid places.

10 Likes

Words to live by! Also as my hubs is fond of saying ‘Don’t do anything stupid’.

6 Likes

This is getting harder and harder to avoid. #idiocracyisthefuture

6 Likes

That is pretty stunning. 20 years ago I had a gun stuck in my face so yea I’m one of those 5 of 6 people. I didn’t wake up until I was in my late 20s. I wasn’t even carrying a knife back then. Never again. That brings me to…

^ This. This is how people become victims.

Agreed 100%.

Great topic.

2 Likes

If someone stuck a bag in your face and said he had a .45 in the bag does that count? And what is the probability that there was actually a gun in the bag? Gas Station with a camera, night shift, high crack area. The position opened up because the previous employee was robbed at knifepoint. Asking for a friend.

1 Like