6.8 NGSW composite case ammo by True Velocity selected by U.S..Army for testing

For years technology has changed the way we live our lives. For better or worse, whether we like it or not things change.
For years now companies have tried using polymer cases for munitions and with little to no success they continue to reach for what seems to be an almost unattainable goal.
Entering into the challenge a company called True Velocity in partnership with General dynamics Tactical systems, and Beretta have submitted their 6.8 composite ammunition to be tested with the U.S.Armys Next Generation Squad Weapon (NGSW).

The U.S.Army almost immediately selected it for the trials with the newly also selected rifle by General dynamics.

I can already hear people out there “ no! Not a bullpup!!! Not polymer ammunition!!! Who needs a suppressor!!!”

Well if you think about it you really get the best of all worlds with this. The ability to have a long barrel in a small package does wonders for both maneuverability and retaining a higher velocity! The sound suppression is a huge bonus especially in a CQB environment.

The specifications that Army set for the NGSW ammo was a 140 Grain projectile in a short magnum case that could travel at least 3,200 F.P.S.
One of the bonuses of the polymer case is a 30% weight reduction! Now I would hope that this grabs your attention. If we put this in real world terms we will look at the current 5.56 NATO cartridge.

40-41 rounds of 5.56, 55gr weighs approximately 1 pound or .453 kilograms. Using this we can extrapolate this to a load out that one might carry into a battle. Let’s assume that a soldier will carry one 30 round magazine in the rifle and have 6 more 30 round magazine’s on his kit. A total of 210 rounds weighing 5lbs 6oz or 2.5 Kg. The soldier could carry up to 273 rounds of the new 6.8 ammo totaling over nine 30 round magazines with and still be at the original 5lb 6oz weight.

True Velocity still has not released their ammunition to the commercial market forcing nerds like myself to develop the new ammunition.

Now if only I had more time to cut a chamber reamer for the new designed 6.8 NGSW ammunition!

The question is what do you think of the 6.8 NGSW ammunition? Do you think it will be a success! Or slow fade into the background of forgotten time?

https://www.truevelocityinc.com/ -True velocity website.

9 Likes

Polymers will become the standard someday…for both projectiles and cases. However, I’m not certain if that day will come sooner or later. It’s just a matter of time, though.

7 Likes

Yeah @SteelPinger I believe that you are correct on that one!
It is my honest hope that this becomes more the standard than the exception.

7 Likes

The problem I see with that one is bulk, it will take more room to carry fewer rounds.

9 Likes

Very true @Belt-Fed, but keep in mind that this is just a mock-up. I don’t have actual dimensions of the round yet.

8 Likes

140 grains flying 3200fps sounds pretty nice.

8 Likes

Heck yeah it does @0311Bravo !

8 Likes

ps
brass is also recyclable and reloadable versus just Greda Friendly

8 Likes

Ha! You are the first person to mention that @srdiver ! I wondered how long it would take for some one to notice that!

7 Likes

watching versus paying attention

I have been watching polymer case with interest starting back with the telescoping

7 Likes

I agree based on today’s technology. However, in the future we will have polymers that are equal to brass in both thickness and strength. I suspect that future polymers will be some sort of poly-metallic or poly-carbon blend??? Time will tell.

7 Likes

yeah, or a living synthetic organism :thinking:

7 Likes

:pleading_face: now that’s just creepy.

6 Likes

So do the new spent cases go to the curb in the recycle bin? Lol but seriously?

7 Likes

I’ve seen some folks dis the Weatherby 300 round. But you know what that composite round is a shouldered round, as the 300 WBY is. Also Weatherby was trying to make super high velocity rounds because the numbers said that even a smaller bullet at hyper velocities would make a devastating hit on the target. And now the gov is saying the same thing. This was in the 40s and 50’s so apparently he was on to something.

7 Likes

The weight savings alone should make it a contender.
Not just for the individual soldier, but also for what an ammo depot would have to deal with,
And what could be transported in a cargo plane.
Just a thought.

8 Likes

Most likely… unless you live in Michigan, then you bring it into the recycling center to “cash in”

6 Likes

sorta like a shot shell - plastic of sorts…

5 Likes

The round is interesting, the rifle not so much. You have to remember that this was the big talk a decade ago when the SCAR won the militaries last competition ,so it could be just another waste of tax payers $$$. The fact that Sig has beat out FN already is a bad sign. Unless cheaply made, overly complicated rifles with no QC is the goal.

6 Likes

The hard part is the politics of redistribution getting in the way of what is best. Just like the adoption of the AR. Or should I say failure to adopt and sabotaging the test so your friends can keep their jobs.

Let me be master of the obvious. The weapon should be a combination ergonomics and weight. If it works for the soldiers, that is what they should carry. The ammunition has to coincide with the weapon and be effective with as little complaints as possible.

6 Likes