6.8 NGSW composite case ammo by True Velocity selected by U.S..Army for testing

The gubberment rushed the M16 onto the field with ill intent. I would say that should have been taken far more serious.

6 Likes

The gubberment rushed the M16 onto the field with ill intent. I would say that should have been taken far more serious.

That is what I was thinking about.

4 Likes

Then I agree completely :+1:

4 Likes

Okay, cool on the weight savings, but my big question is what happens to this stuff under sustained full auto fire?
Is it going to start leaving crap behind on the chamber walls? Will this end up like the lacquer cased Ammo fiasco of not too terribly long ago?
Iā€™d hate to be the grunt in a firefight that finds out that his LMG or AR is now jamming due to plastic fouling.
Maybe Iā€™m just paranoid, but Iā€™d rather carry fewer brass cased rounds that actually work than a crap ton of plastic ammo that doesnā€™t.

8 Likes

^ This

8 Likes

Good question to ask. I use a lot of 7.62x38 wolf poly coated ammunition and I have run it very hot and have not vet had an issue with it leaving poly in the chamber.

You can test this with a spent case and a torch. At the temperature it takes to melt the polymer off, if that same temp would be in the chamber of letā€™s say an AR-15 then in most cases the gas tube most likely would have blown off.

Yes lacquer cases can leave behind melted lacquer but this is also in extreme cases.

8:40 keep in mind this was on full auto for an extended period.

4 Likes

I watched that video beforeā€¦good stuff! A little crazy, but good lol!
Iā€™ve never had issues with either poly or lacquer in my AKs, but I donā€™t run them like the military would :grin:
Iā€™m just curious if this polymer cased stuff will start to melt if youā€™re using it like a SAW gunner would in an all out nasty situation that sometimes happens when youā€™ve got too many bad guys and youā€™re praying for air support to get thereā€¦not under those laboratory test conditions conducted by the manufacturers lol.

4 Likes

Yeah like I said itā€™s extremely important that they get this right. I like brass personality myself.

I donā€™t know the type of plastic true velocity uses but I do know Ryton has some plastic that can operate to 500 degrees F

Time will tell for this technology and the past attempts didnā€™t look all that bright.

6 Likes

This is probably much cheaper for the military since they dont reload, right? I mean budget is thier biggest concern most of the time.

4 Likes

Yeah. And saving on weight for transport.

5 Likes

the ammo cost will be way high compared to brass cased ammoā€¦will it swell and stick in a hot dirty chamber ? how easy/hard to damage while loading ? I donā€™t see this working anytime soonā€¦

4 Likes

I can believe the ammo will be plastic one day, the guns are about all plastic now.

4 Likes

I can see a new bolt action Sniper rifle firing a 140 at 3200fps, but I donā€™t see that hot of a load working for a standard combat rifle, barrel life will not be good, imagine a platoon of Grunts in a firefight going through magazines as fast as possible with that ammoā€¦barrels will be drooping and rifles will be failingā€¦just one mag dump will have it smokingā€¦

4 Likes

Only initially not long term unless Iā€™m missing something here. Polymer is much cheaper

4 Likes

Taxes

donā€™t forget everything ammo is made from is killing the earth, so it must be taxed as such, you know, to help

4 Likes

ā€œYou stole my futureā€ -GT

6 Likes

:rofl:

5 Likes

I am not sure about that, not sure if the polymer is as strong after being used then recycled as brass would be, I think the whole idea is to make it easier to make, but with a 140 bullet compared to a 62 and the extra powder I donā€™t see it being cheaper at any pointā€¦it will be government contract made ammo and probably not but one company is even making it and what would the cost be to tool up to make it if another company or two jumped in to bid on making it, spend a few hundred million to tool up and then not get the contractā€¦I donā€™t see any cost savings to the taxpayerā€¦

5 Likes

I doubt we need a new rifle, doa barrel change to something like a 6.5mm for example, same with the ammoā€¦ there are plenty of good calibers that can ko someone a long way off. Taxpayers will be footing the bill for another ammo factory with any new ammo. The AR platform is a versatile one and can serve us for sometime to comeā€¦

6 Likes

Does that happen with shotgun shells?

6 Likes