6th branch of the Armed Forces by 2020

https://www.ballisticmag.com/2018/08/10/space-force-2020/

7 Likes

I wonder what the age limit is…? :thinking:

5 Likes

one would think it would be older than on Earth because of the lack of gravity,an older person could move as fast as he could 20 years ago here LOL

7 Likes

Haha. Touché! I dig it.

4 Likes

Wonder what they’ll fly over the Independence Day celebration with :thinking: That’ll be awesome!

7 Likes

@EQuinn, I like the way you think!! As long as it isn’t something Musk made I’m good with it.

4 Likes

What? They would be lucky to have Musk help them.

And what’s with the guns and gear for space? Who the heck do they plan on fighting up there?

I wonder what Space Force is going to cost the American taxpayers each year? Lets hope they take it out of the illegal immigrant budget that they always seem to have.

5 Likes

I hate that guy, he’s a douche so I cannot fathom a scenario where I’d want him anywhere near this. :face_with_monocle: It’s just how I feel.

5 Likes

Well, that’s fair enough. We are big fans of Musk here. Haven’t missed a launch. If I were to have a space program, he is definitely someone I would want helping out. He has a great team and has accomplished a lot.

3 Likes

But I was kinda liking the Tesla pick up truck…

5 Likes

At least Tesla paid back its loans, unlike other car manufacturers who had to get bailed out.

6 Likes

Ford’s Bailout

Although Ford did not receive TARP funds, it did receive government loans. These were critical because banks were not lending during the financial crisis. It requested a $9 billion line-of-credit from the government. In return, it pledged to spend $14 billion on new technologies.

On June 23, 2009, Ford received a $5.9 billion loan from the Energy Department’s Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing program. In return, it pledged to accelerate development of both hybrid and battery-powered vehicles, close dealerships, and sell Volvo. It upgraded factories in Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, and Ohio to produce hybrid vehicles.

Ford used the funds to switch its focus to. In 2016, CEO Mark Fields said, “We want to become a top player in electrified solutions. The company wants to lead…we can win such as with our commercial vehicles.”

Eighty-one percent of the funds went to create new efficiency technologies for gas-powered vehicles. For example, they helped fund Ford’s aluminum bodies in the F-series pickups. The Congressional Research Service estimated the loans saved 33,000 jobs. Ford will repay this loan by 2022.

Many argue that Ford needed the funds to sustain its cash flow during the recession. Ford says it was in better shape than the other two because it had mortgaged its assets in 2006 to raise $23.6 billion. It used the loans to retool its product lineup to focus on smaller, energy efficient vehicles. It got the United Automobile Workers to agree it could finance half of a new retiree health care trust with company stock. By April 2009, it retired $9.9 billion of the debt it had taken out in 2006.

7 Likes

Hmmmm…that might even be gayer than the new chevy truck.

6 Likes

I think a space force will be a small group of people at first. With maybe some sort of quick personnel delivery system to battle fields or maybe even an iron rod delivery device. I’ve read that iron rods dropped from space can be deadly. (Rods from god) May be the best term online anyway.

They also may detect other countries weapons systems in space. I know there’s been conspiracy theories of nukes in space

4 Likes

that group already exists - United States Strategic Command ( USSTRATCOM ) and the US Air Force,

6 Likes

Good to know. I suppose it would be bad to be that far behind the curve. But the SF could still take control of the project. Not sure how it would work

5 Likes

Interesting article, but I was left confused as to what the Space Force/Space Command will actually do. It didn’t give much detail. Is it meant to protect our satellites and attack enemy satellites? Will there be some specially trained soldier astronauts sent out to fight in space? If so, who would they fight? Or maybe they would sabotage enemy satellites or somehow kidnap or “steal” them by reprogramming them for our own country’s use?

Or maybe the article was intentionally vague because the government doesn’t want our enemies to know more about it? Or could it be it’s vague because it’s more of a bluff to intimidate our enemies?

One other thing that adds to my concern over our country’s vulnerability is cyber warfare. I know we have cyber warfare programs in our military, but it seems like our enemies are still easily bypassing our cyber defenses and managing to steal our country’s secrets, technology and data. I think more funding and emphasis should be placed on that as well.

As for the Bobba-Fet uniform, it looks cool, but how realistic is it? I don’t know if I’d be able to see very well out of that helmet, as cool-looking as it is. And if I’m out in space, shouldn’t the uniform look more like an astronaut suit? Maybe have it made of some of that new bullet-proof clothing material so that a bullet won’t pierce the suit and depressurize it or allow the oxygen to escape. And speaking of oxygen, I suppose the individual oxygen tank, or whatever it is astronauts use for oxygen, should also be bullet-proof. And should the suits be black so as to be better camouflaged in the dark void of space? Or would that not help in reflecting dangerous UV rays from the sun? Space nerds like me need to know these details!!

5 Likes

I would assume thats classified!

4 Likes

I just want to know what kind of laser weapons they will have? Maybe light sabers or duck hunt looking laser guns?

6 Likes

Navy is currently installing laser weaponry onto carriers & battleships, so who knows…

7 Likes