7.62*39 in an AR platform?

Does anyone here own a 7.62*39 in an AR platform and if so how accurate is it and how do you like it?

3 Likes

I owned one for a year or so and don’t have it any more. I didn’t want to buy more different magazines. I have a lot of 5.56 magazines and AK47 magazines. With that rifle I had to buy all new magazines. In the end it wasn’t for me. Accurate enough, but do own AK’s that where more accurate than that rifle.

5 Likes

I find that very intruiging you know that? Let me guess, a 7SF-84 perhaps? Now those are known to be good…

2 Likes

For the AK 47 line up that was more accurate was the Arsenal SAS7 and the other was you guessed it the Arsenal SAM7-sf 84.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting. It was useful for me. :neutral_face:

1 Like

I used to have a SAM7. It would piss my brother in law (Marine) off when i would out shoot him and his AR15 at 200 yds :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

Ha! That’s funny because I have two marines that I did the same thing to at the range m, but it was 300 yards. In both cases they bought new rifles and still hate the AK47.

4 Likes

Have an Olympic Arms (are they still around?) in 7.62 X 39. It shoots to 1 MOA at 100 yds; the 7.62 X 39 is a soft-shooting round, great for extended periods of making things go boom./

2 Likes

That is good to know, I was wondering about the accuracy because I like the round, can’t explain why but I do.

1 Like

Olympic is still around. I had the same question a few months ago.

2 Likes

Older thread bit of your looking for a ar in 7.62
Consider the cmmg mutant and psa makes a version of the same rifle
They both take standard akm mags and perform very well

2 Likes

Or just get an AK which the round was designed for.

3 Likes

This as well
I think the premise of the rifle was how when they introduced the AR upper in 7.62 it wasn’t really designed for the round itself
The bolt face was not designed around the 7.62 but was a 5.56 bolt modified for the cartridge
They also used diffrent mags that did not work very well
Cmmg went and changed the entire bolt fa e to accommodate the larger cartridge as well as changed the buffer springs to accommodate more recoil
The magazine change to a standard akm mag just made sense
In all reality it is a AR that fires 7.62 reliably and effectively

3 Likes

Thank you very much, I will check them out when I get the finances.

1 Like

I have to get some other financial commitments out of the way first but I want to get one eventually.

1 Like

I like the 7.62 round but from what I hear from some of the ex military guys at the range the AK’s and SKS’s wont group as nice as the AR platforms. I like all three but have some house stuff in front of my next gun purchases.

1 Like

Full disclosure , I have fired all three but only own the SKS and it may have been abused before I got it so I’m not experienced in the capabilities of the AR or the AK, mostly gaining knowledge from those more experienced than
Me.

2 Likes

Well I’m glad that I was able to offer you a alternative
Generally speaking the rifles I suggested are nice
There is a few reviews on both rifles I mentioned on the Iraqiveteran8888 channel

3 Likes

you can’t have an AK in both rounds without having 2 complete rifles, but you can have an AR in both with just one receiver…Obviously I think the reasoning is because swapping uppers just gives another option you can’t have with an AK so you can shoot the cheaper ammo…

3 Likes

The rifles I suggested do not have the ability to shoot 5.56 uppers on the lowers
The magazine well is designed for a standard ak magazine and will not accommodate a 5.56 magazine
As stated above as well
7.62 AR uppers are not very well designed and are not very reliable
They were basically hodge podged together with a modified 5.56 bolt face to accept the larger .30 caliber round

3 Likes