72 hour Get home/Bug Out bag

I see. I guess that depends on where i am at the time. At very least, i have my Glock 22 and my 460 S&W. If I’m lucky enough to be at home, I can pack the Tacoma with a LOT of stuff. I have multiple bags ready to go… some with ammo, some with clothes, guns already in cases. Food i don’t worry about. I know how and where to acquire food.

2 Likes

Looks like the “72 hour bag” changes some over the years as we age - less weight, more medicine, as you get older.

I have my “go bag” but it is just guns and ammo. Glad you all talked about what other supplies should be at the ready - valid points, for sure.

Love the S&W .460. Versatile and capable. And yes, intimidating to anyone who might try threatening you.

Regarding weight training versus age: I have found out the hard way that your body resets your limits for you, but may not tell you clearly enough in advance. Even into my late 50’s, I was doing some serious weight lifting only to find out one day that my body could not handle what I had been doing for years. After many physical therapy sessions, I mostly got my normal function back. I still have some pain in one of my legs from all the heavy weight lifting I was doing there, as well as pain in my shoulders from weight lifting (high rep counts).

I still lift weights (have lifted weights since Junior High), but just not as many reps and way less weight per rep.

3 Likes

This is still a relevant topic these days. In general, I believe that most people have a greater change of needing a Get Home bag. Winter storms are a good example. I live in a rural area, so there’s a realistic possibility that I could get “snowed out” and may need to hike the last several miles.

6 Likes

I know this is a wide open question but what is a good distance to be able to get in a day on foot with a light or no pack and pretty flat ground? Assuming it’s early in the breakdown and minimal resistance. Also through “good” neighborhoods based on the path chosen.

5 Likes
8 Likes

Thank you very much!

4 Likes

I don’t have a get home bag because I have been bugging in for years. I hear there are people out there and if I go out I might run into them.

5 Likes

What you need is a Get Out There Bag lol

5 Likes