80% build prices

One would think you doing all the work yourself that the cost would be less than actually going to the shop and purchasing said firearm
Thoughts

7 Likes

You would think, but it’s not. A good jig will set you back a lot. The real savings comes from doing several.

6 Likes

Tell me about it I just pulled the trigger and bought all the matrix prescion jigs to build 1911 80 percent Frames and at Brownells as well for a staking tool and other tooling 600+ for everything

7 Likes

:+1:

7 Likes

You don’t build off an 80% for less price. You build for bragging rights, having good tools, feeling of accomplishment, better quality than off the shelf, yada yada yada.

It does get cheaper as you do more though.

Some manufacturers are making a premium on 80% because… well people want them.

10 Likes

*Deleted. *

6 Likes

I got mine from Righttobear.com for my 80% Arms Jig Video. The ones that I have coming in next are from JSDSupply.com.

7 Likes

There are tons of diffrent suppliers for 80% lowers
The main purchase isn’t the lowers it’s yhe jig that you use to machine them out
I have the 5d tactical jig and it’s hands down the best that I’ve seen
But it comes at a cost over 400 but it’s by far the easiest to use

7 Likes

To be honest… I don’t think there is going to be much of a difference other than the one is cerakoted.

I usually get mine raw because I can cerakote them any color I want.

7 Likes

PSA had ready to build stripped lowers recently for $29.99, I have done 5 80% lowers and probably won’t ever do one again.

4 Likes

For myself, I know a big factor is I end up buying the nicer, name-brand, and costlier components. I still figure I am “saving” not buying stuff I won’t use or want to replace right away.

2 Likes

“But it comes at a cost over 400 but it’s by far the easiest to use”
I was talking to another member about the 5D, went back and looked at receipts

5D pro Jig $200
Tool Kit $55 (3 drill bits and the ready mill)
308 upgrade $60
Dewalt router $120
$435 including the 308 and the recommended router.
I also use a foot switch with a splitter for router and vacuum.
5D occasionally has a 10% off sale, get on their mailing list, and watch for a deal on the router, get down under $400 all in.
It has turned out 3 near perfect lowers so far and another one on the bench maybe this weekend.

3 Likes

If you take your time and watch for sales on the parts you need, there is a chance that you can build a Polymer80 pistol at a little under the cost of buying a new Glock. That would be buying the Glock when it wasn’t on sale, buying as many of the needed parts on sale as possible, and starting off with a handheld drill and bench vise already available.

There was some company that was supposedly working on a 1911 kit (with the grip safety removed from the design) using a polymer frame and jig similar to the Polymer80 pistol concept, but I never heard of them making any progress on getting it out to the market.

1 Like

I doubt something like that would make it to the market in the first place
The 2011 is out there already
While I don’t own one I have shot a few before and wasn’t overly impressed
I am biased though there is nothing like the feel of a steel 1911 imo

I generally buy parts here and there through spring summer and fall
When the winter hits and it’s cold as balls here that’s when I’m in the shop working on my own projects

3 Likes

I went searching for the company website, and it is still saying that Brownells and Glockstore should be carrying their polymer frame 1911 kits when the product is launched in March 2018.

Brownells and Glockstore websites still aren’t showing the kits.

There have been some options for 80% Sig pistol frames, but the parts prices were a bit scary, when I looked.

2 Likes

Over at bleeps shops they have price ranges for 80%.
(folks come and make there’s your)

Welfare Grade
Walmart grade
Gun store for way less grade (cheaper)

1 Like

details on the bleeps?

How about the sweeps and the creeps?

2 Likes

At that time lower were $23, they are back up to $40 now.
I can not endorse shops that are not on full30.
You will have to look them up.

2 Likes

While that sentiment is appreciated please spread the love and always share fellow patriot sources :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes