9mm stepped cases

Does anyone reload these or do you just toss them in the scrapper?

3 Likes

Didn’t even know they existed, whats the history/reason?

1 Like

It appears those are designed for a particular style bullet.
For any other bullet, it would be unreloadable.
Looks like more trouble than it’s worth.
Maxxtech makes them ostensibly to prevent bullet set back.

3 Likes

Once again I had to :mag: :open_book:

http://www.massreloading.com/setback.html

2 Likes

I see them come though frequently, and have heard a lot both ways on them. Appears to provide a reinforcement for the case, but it only takes a limited number of bullets due to the depth. Heard a number of customers say they don’t like them as a lot of the cases crack where the step is. Heard others say they had no issues with them. I’m inclined to start scrapping them, but I’m afraid I am going to find a lot of them.

Robert, that is a good article you found on set back.

1 Like

This is an “ i know a guy, who knows a guy” comment so take it with as many salt grains as necessary.
Years ago I had a friend that had a friend that claimed after firing, most of the case ejected but a ring of brass remained in the chamber. The case had completely split at the step.
I’ve never heard that again but I’ve also never seen a case like that. I question the story but does seem it would weaken there eventually.

2 Likes

Yeah the heat differential maybe during the expansion and contraction of the case during firing.

1 Like

Makes sense, think I’m going to to look at removing those during the sorting process. Thanks guys!

1 Like

I scrap them, internal case capacity is also different so you have to adjust for it with your powder load…

3 Likes