9mm vs 45 ACP: The Greatest Pistol Caliber Debate

Yeah…well…wherever he is i bet he can read a telepromtor, yours sure can’t :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

:joy:

5 Likes

6 Likes

That 9mm target looks like what I do with my 40s just saying…

4 Likes

Looks like they both need to practice more to me .

5 Likes

Rode to da farm store and bought 2 more.

6 Likes

A pile of 45ACP silliness.
The premise of this article is that you are using a 1911.
They never heard of the 2011, or the SIG P220.

Who shoots at 850fps any more? Old surplus ammo?
Mine go just over 1020. 230gr RN, never have had a misfeed yet in the Sig.
When I let my daughter shoot he 45, she shot 850-900fps reloads.
First thing she asked was " Is there a 46 caliber, this one is kinda whimpy."
So I gave her another box of ammo, she liked the 1020fps a lot better.
So I asked her what she decided to buy, she said a 9mm…
Why? She said It was cheaper.

4 Likes

Expense is why I first moved to 9mm for competition so for me your daughters comment has merit esp’ if she shoots a lot. Now I still shoot 9mm because no matter what the amount of recoil is it all scores like it’s 9mm, so there’s little advantage to a bigger bullet.

FWIW, the .45 does what it does not by velocity but by mass. There’s really no need to drive them that fast and wear the gun out sooner. Too, accurate follow up shots can be made quicker with less recoil to absorb. That’s why many people shooting competition use butterfly fart ammo that just makes the power factor they require for the division they’re in.

Don’t take that as me writing “you should do this”, you do what you want, they’re your wrists, your guns, and your powder. Long ago I stopped pushing cartridges to their upper limits when I started to replace parts that should never have needed replacing. For the past decades and today if I need more power I get a bigger cartridge. You know there is a .50 in a 1911 type handgun, and a .460 Rowland?

4 Likes

Yup, but 45ACP does fine. My home made rounds are about 25 cents each, they used to be a dime, but primer costs ruined that.
The 50s eject to slowly, the Rowlands is a good wildcat.

Lead rounds do not degrade the barrel. Our 1949 Winchester 94 still has the squared cut rifling form the factory, no jacketed round have been shot thru it.

I use a carry Sig, so its a tad shorter than the service pistols, so the little extra push makes up for the shorter barrel.

3 Likes