A Colt By Walther? Something New To Play With

Big thanks to Walther for sending me the Colt 1911 Rail Gun in .22 to play around with and test… look for more on this in the future.

Find it here on Brownells
http://bit.ly/2jOIYcl

2 Likes

so many questions
I was seriously looking at a earlier version
Pretty sure you checked but does it lock back on a empty mag when manually pulling the slide to the rear? If it is that it is a return spring / ammo issue or requires a few more rounds down range to loosen up.

2 Likes

yes, it will lock back manually no problem and yes, i think you are correct, it will likely line itself out after a little more break in. so far i only have about 100 rounds through it… i would wager by 300 or so it will be fine. obviously, ammo can do it, particularly subsonic or maybe lower FPS standard velocity stuff but cci mini mags should be plenty enough umph to get it done. we will see. if the problem continue, a spring replacement may be in order. one thing for sure though, that action is smooth as all get out, very pleasant shooting experience. i am not sure if the earlier versions had the same chamber or not. walther changed up the P22 and other 22 chamber a few years back when they found it offered better reliability across a variety of ammo. my understanding is that this one is the same chambering. i have had horrible experiences with the Sig version, GSG version and Chiappa versions as far as being very picky with ammo… that is the reason i requested this one for testing, the said the difference in the chambering made it better… we shall see, so far so good.

2 Likes

I was looking at the Chiapet (because it was cheap at Cabela’s) but it wasn’t getting the best views. Same for the GSG / Swiss Arms something just seemed off. The Browning Black Label seem like midget guns and just wrong when compared to the 1911. It would be much more of a range tool than anything.

1 Like

Boom thank you! This is one of the guns I’ve been looking at adding to my group!! Perfect timing

1 Like

appears threaded? but that would the adapted be a bushing type?

1 Like

It runs an adapter I believe the same as the p22

1 Like

may hold off until i can get a little more testing in but certainly seems like the way to go with a 1911 22 at this point.

2 Likes

yes it is threaded, yes it needs the adapter, United Defense, about $15, just added that via an Instagram live a few hour ago :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes sir, fits several 22 pistols

2 Likes

Thank you I’ll keep watch. I’ve looked at this one and the ati sportsman’s guide has

2 Likes

use my affiliate links when you buy one! LOL the ATI is built by GSG in case you didn’t know

1 Like

the Browning is the pricey one, followed by Walther all the others are considerably less expensive. probably because those are all basically built in the exact same place. that isn’t uncommon though, you see that a lot with cowboy revolvers.

1 Like

Ok I will use your link. I knew they were affiliated but thought ati took over gsg. Knew it was some relation. I want one of those mp5 22 pistols to sbr and they are hard to locate for a reasonable price these days. May have to resort buying the rifle and whacking it up

2 Likes

you might be right, not sure who owns who at this point… companies change all of that up so much now days. i have the GSG-5 rife, earlier version and it is freaking awesome. i have been trying to figure out a viable way to integrally suppress it since it already has the fake can… that would be cool.

2 Likes

Good review Chris, I like the idea of a 1911 in 22cal but have been less than impressed with the few I have gotten to shoot. Cycling was always the issue so ammo had to be better quality. :+1::+1:

3 Likes

yes, yes, yes, yes, yes me too, that is why when Walther said, what can we send you, i told them this one. they say that it is a different chambering than those others and that is doesn’t have near the issues as a result… we shall see, so far so good… of course it is more expensive than the others too, so there is that.

2 Likes

as to GSG - the parent is Umarex AG if memory serves me, ATI would be the US Distributor.

2 Likes

Umarex owns Walther GmbH, so now it gets interesting…

1 Like