A left side loading gate?

Being left handed, the one thing I would really like to see on a lever action is a loading gate on the other side of the rifle. I’m apparently not the only one who ever wanted this; some late 19th century sportsman had an unknown gunsmith modify a '76 in just this way.

What I’m really curious about is, would this be possible on a '92 or '94 Winchester?

7 Likes

Welcome back.

If anybody would do it I am thinking it be Henry. The Long Ranger came about due to customer requests btw. Been thinking of adding another of their Long Rangers to my ‘List’, 308 Win is already on it to replace my Winchester 88 in the field. It is flawless and an heirloom and should only be used on special occasions these days. Its problem is it is perfect for a general purpose walking or saddle rifle.

I’m ambidextrous with guns. Pistols lefthanded and rifles righthanded. Shooting prone I prefer a combo. So thinking of getting a Bighorn TL3 left bolt-right eject. You can do it yourself with some of Savage’s lefty models, but not their target 10/110 versions.

Edit to: left bolt-right eject. Damn Dyslexia!

5 Likes

I aint an expert but, I think that a call to the manufacturer , Ruger/Marlin, Henry or someone could be productive . It is obviously entirely possible.

4 Likes

My experience is that Henry is more responsive. At least historically, since they have listened to customer requests and have acted on them. The only direct knowledge I have is that I have sent requests through Ruger’s website in a coordinated effort to elicit a product change and we didn’t even receive a response. I say try them all and see.

4 Likes

I was to take a guess and so here I go I am guessing , the customer will have to pony up.

It isnt a secret by now I love me some wheel guns. But I like single action none removable cylinders with right side loading gates for that very reason.
For instance a S&W the cylinder swings out on the left side forcing me to load over the back strap , hand swaapping even. . I dont do competition never have . But have dropped a few rounds trying to load its an aggravation.
Now the SA. The load gate being on that right hand side im right handed just drop em in and tap em out pretty as ya please.

4 Likes

I understand why it swings to the left . So you can use your left hand to load ut what if you aint that nimble with your left hand especially in cold weather or what not . I get it . Dont yell at me …

4 Likes

Charter makes or made a lh 38 revolver. I ordered one for a secret service agent that came in the gun shop a lot.

4 Likes

I tried Henry around five years ago, had a long email exchange with Anthony Imperato. At the time, they hadn’t done a loading gate, I was asking about left-side ejection. I’m also left eye dominant (I live entirely in the mirror), and as my eyes have aged, empties flying through my field of view and occasionally back at my face have become too distracting. I was completely unable to make him understand my issue, or the fact that right side ejection is not completely safe for southpaws, no matter how well designed the gun is. I very much doubt that I’d get any more traction with the loading gate. I own a Big Boy. I’ve been mulling over selling it and getting a '92 Winchester.

4 Likes

You’ve just described why ALL of my handguns are revolvers. Autos are fine at arms length, but as soon as you have to pull one back into a retention position, lefties have problems. I have no trouble with single actions, just load/unload with the right hand, they’re pretty much left handed already. Double action, swing out designs are almost left handed. I have to hit the cylinder latch with my index finger, but that’s the only annoyance. I open the cylinder by pushing it out with my right thumb, and I then have hold of the cylinder with my right hand, through the frame; it can’t spin. I eject and load with the left, close with my right as my left hand goes back to the grip, no weird gyrations required.

I pointed this out to Charter Arms a couple of years ago, and suggested they try just putting a cylinder latch on the other side for lefties. Nothing so far. You could try their “left handed” model. I suspect that with a little familiarization, it would work very well for most right handed people, but you’d also have to learn to hit the cylinder latch with your index finger.

5 Likes

@thedarkinthewood yes , I worked for years with a lefty and he was X military they made him learn to shoot right handed while using a rifle.
The handgun however he shot in the isosceles stance with left strong hand was a good shot. I have 2 siblings that are left handed. I am not but prefer SA for the reasons stated glad someone else has my problem.

5 Likes