A Little Love For The Dead Air Silencers

My opinion is that Dead Air makes some of the best suppressors out there. What do you think? I hate that we missed B Team Mike at this event, word is he was busy playing with his tank, go figure.

9 Likes

I have one and like it. I was told at a NFA match that it was ridiculously quiet. Part of that was ammo too.

9 Likes

I’ve got one, and even though I’m shooting 5.56 through a 30 cal can, it makes the noise much more bearable, like a pistol instead of a rifle. I wonder what their new 5.56 can can do!

5 Likes

Yes, even putting a smaller bullet through a larger opening works. It’s not as efficient as a properly sized can but it works fine. Properly sized cans can get lots of $ invested with the purchase price and tax stamps (abolish the ATF and the registration!). FWIW, the Dead Air can mentioned above (Ghost-M) that I use is a .45 that uses a rubber wipe (or not). During the match I mentioned I was firing 9mm through it with no wipe. But it comes apart for cleaning, so I also use it for .22 rimfire and it’s incredibly quiet with them*. Even quieter with wipes, but they aren’t required and a wipe does screw up the accuracy. FWIW #2, when I bought it ATF no longer treated wipes like a separate can. Soon after ATF brought out that old determination and now one can only have one wipe on hand so I bought a cheap hyd’ press and had some cutters made. When one wipe is no longer useable, or I need one with a different size hole I destroy the existing wipe (there is an approved procedure and I exceed it) and press a new one. I no longer know what’s happening with the following, but a few years ago Dead Air was said to be working on making properly sized end caps for different calibers for the Ghost-M. I haven’t seen them on the website but 1/8" rubber sheet is inexpensive.

Is using a 5.56 indoors, for HD maybe, the biggest thing isn’t the noise (can’t get rid of the supersonic crack) but the blast and as long as that is attenuated the can is doing it’s job. Blast on the eardrums is extremely painful.

• It’s not easy to determine how quiet a firearm is when one is doing the firing due to noise from bone conduction and just having the head in close proximity to the breech. One day I got a hair across my butt and asked the wife to fire it after I backed off. At 15 yards away I could hear it but it was at the limit of my hearing and there was no way I could have known what it was if I didn’t know beforehand, and that was out of the Ghost-M w/o a wipe. During the match I previously mentioned there was no way that I knew how quiet it was. To me it was quite loud.
3 Likes

yeah, and any loud noise thereafter sets it back off :unamused:

3 Likes