Abbot calling for a convention of the states to amend the Constitution

Texas governor Gregg Abut is wanting to call a convention of the state’s to amend the constitution what do you think?

4 Likes

What does he wish to amend?

2 Likes

He has a few on the list. I’m still processing - but it seems like his goals are to give more power to the states to override the federal government.

Right now I think his list is a mix of good and bad.

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/127299/texas-governor-greg-abbott-wants-constitutional-convention-give-states-power-nullify-supreme-court

1. Prohibit Congress from regulating activity that occurs wholly within one State.

2. Require Congress to balance its budget.

3. Prohibit administrative agencies—and the unelected bureaucrats that staff them—from creating federal law.

4. Prohibit administrative agencies—and the unelected bureaucrats that staff them—from preempting state law.

5. Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a U.S. Supreme Court decision.

6. Require a seven-justice super-majority vote for U.S. Supreme Court decisions that invalidate a democratically enacted law.

7. Restore the balance of power between the federal and state governments by limiting the former to the powers expressly delegated to it in the Constitution.

8. Give state officials the power to sue in federal court when federal officials overstep their bounds.

9. Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a federal law or regulation.

7 Likes

Sounds interesting.

2 Likes

:thinking:

2 Likes

So by the looks of it it could go either way. If we get a bunch of states blue but the supreme court is red that could be bad news.

I’m hoping at least some of this is tossed out but some sticks. I’m not a fan of #5 just because it is only a matter of time before we get too many states blue to override the progress we are likely to make under Trump’s new supreme court picks. Otherwise I’m tentatively for it.

6 Likes

Bad bad idea! Think about this, it will be an establishment run convention, the same establishment that is running the country now. Once in session there is nothing preventing them from passing amendments totally unrelated to the stated purpose. But then our politicians always do exactly what they tell us they are doing, right!!!

5 Likes

Translates to Enabling Act of 1933

3 Likes

1 is good, but there are some states that will fight against it.

2 will result in more government shutdowns.

Democrats will fight tooth and nail against 5 and 9, because it goes against the motive behind their push to do away with the electoral college (gives low population states too much authority to override high population blue states).

6 would make it much harder for the US Supreme Court to strike down gun control laws.

5 Likes

Before you support any convention please watch this and research just what a constitutional convention is and can do. It would be the fastest, easiest way for those that want to remove the 2A.

4 Likes

This idea is provocative,fairly well laid-out, and really dangerous. Offering a very wide set of dramatic changes all at once can be looked at as a threat to our Constitution that has worked pretty well for over 200 years. There are provisions to make changes, not sure if all the proposed changes could be dealt with at one time. Very provocative. :thinking:

2 Likes

Good stuff thanks for posting

I’d say by listening to that video that it should be called a Con Con Con

5 Likes

Ladies and gentlemen of Full30! I appreciate and respect you all. With that said I would like to remind you all of something.

there is always free cheese in a mousetrap!

Thank you for your time.

6 Likes

I started this thread to let everyone see it or be aware of this. I personally would not want to take the gamble. I don’t bet unless it is a sure thing with the odds stacked in my favor overwhelmingly.

4 Likes

Even NY voted a state constitutional convention down.

3 Likes

Constitution needs to be FOLLOWED, not amended. “Congress shall make no law . . . ,” “Shall not be infringed,” “shall not be violated,” “powers not delegated . . . .”

7 Likes

You would think these idiots could read… but obviously not

3 Likes

They can read they just dont care. They twist it to there own agenda .

4 Likes

It is possible they are dyslexic and are ignorant of what is written right under their noses.

Edit: Feel free to spell the “D” word correctly.

2 Likes

Sometimes I just wonder why tens of millions of us just don’t bum rush the government and clean house+arrest for treason+etc. Its about time to get the country back to it’s core constitutional values.

Plus, HR 7115 is going to be VERY BAD NEWS for literally tens of millions of law obeying American citizens. How we even got here is just unfathomable.

2 Likes