AK Pattern Rifles...the good, the bad, and the really, really bad.

My experiences have been similar but my Arsenal was a 5.56 model. My wasr was a better rifle in all but the aesthetics.

4 Likes

WASRs are definitely not known for their aesthetic beauty! :wink:

4 Likes

I cant complain about the one I had. I treated it like shit and didnt even know how to clean or maintain it. I just shot it a bunch and kept it lubed up.

4 Likes

After reading this for a while this is why comm bloc rifles are better
Cold hammer forged barrels chrome lined
And just know how after building thee rifles for almost a century there process are better than ours
Just my .02
I’m kind of a purist the akm wasn’t built to look pretty or shoot 1000 yards
It was built to arm a population of peasants
It was designed as a medium range weapon and was built robust to with stand abuse
It’s simple and quite effective in the hands of a person that knows it well
That being said you just don’t sit at the kitchen table in your apartment and build one it’s takes skill and tools and a want to learn

7 Likes

Seems like com bloc AKs are built for serious use and U.S. made AKs are built for more of the hobbyist crowd.

5 Likes

Honestly in my opinion yes
If your the kind of shooter that takes your ak out 2 or 3 times a year and shoots 3 or 400 rounds out of it
Then yes that’s what the us market is mostly to folks not in the know

If your a serious user or collector comm bloc all the way
I have one us made akm a psa second generation forged trunnions and bolt and carrier
I didn’t use any other psa parts just finished with parts I already had

I bought it 3 for 3 reasons
It was hella cheap for me to finish it
I wanted to see if it was a decent rifle I got a bit after they acquired DDI
And I wanted something too shoot I’ve basically parked all my Russian akm rifles

But it has about 8k rounds down the pipe and it’s a solid build
All the rivits are very well done no abnormal signs of wear
The peening in the bolt carries isn’t really bad at all

The point being of this is the first ak you buy ok cool
Ak’s are like rabbits though
They multiply on there own in your safe

7 Likes

That’s around the time my Pop said “buy 3”

IMHO one of the big things that makes the 47 + 74 so reliable is the design of the round.
Designed to extract easily. Oh and kill nazis faster.

kalashnikov%203

8 Likes

So, in your evaluation…would you say the PSA V2 is an AK we can put on the “Good” list?
Sounds like your 8k rounds would have showed issued by now if it was not…

4 Likes

I would say to evaluate every rifle individually
My experience is not that same as everyone’s
And as stated I didn’t use psa parts

5 Likes

Cool, thanks for the reply! I just watched Robs 5000 round evaluation and it seems as if it passed the test with only minor quality control issues, and a canted front sight…but looks like it held up well overall.

1 Like

With all the complaints of wanting a “high quality” AK type rifle, why aren’t custom AK’s more desirable? The Sharps Bros MB47 receiver seems like the best possible format to base a build on. Why aren’t there people as excited about building their own AK as an AR builder is? I know the better parts are available, so why rely on imports and shady websites?

Honestly, saying that a company has perfected a 60 year old design (without making any improvements) isn’t that great of compliment, nor an accomplishment. That’s like saying a person has perfected long division, when he’s surrounded by engineers and mathematicians.

3 Likes

Only “AK” i own… though I do have a SKS… but a good one, then there is the IWI
Now THERE is a weapon!
But again, the AK is the only one I regularly cut myself with when working on client’s projects.

9 Likes

I believe these are both MB47 builds.

8 Likes

Those are nice!

4 Likes

Imagine my disappointment when I scrolled up…

5 Likes

Just a bit overrated imo but i am a purist
I’m not into m4 stocks and rails in my ak

3 Likes

It takes a lot to impress me when it comes to an AK. Never have understood the hype of some of these “custom” parts kit builders… that don’t keep me warm on these… stupid song.

4 Likes

Good? Ok? Bad? After that answer please provide WHY in non-anecdotal language please.

4 Likes

Who said they are not?
Krebs and Rifle Dynamics are sold out alot. Also, from the few Russians ive talked to on various internet forums it seems they like custom AKs just as much as we like custom ARs. AKs are gaining popularity again, hopefully the market blows up and we get some decent options.

5 Likes

Both WASRs should be good to go.

As for JRA:

http://www.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/2018/01/polish-import-ak47-pioneer-arms-2-0-no-go/

Make your own choice…

As for non-anecdotal reasons…all we really have is anecdotal experience unless we are wealthy enough to buy the whole lot of them and then test and measure results. I have to look at the big picture, and when you find a bunch of people pointing out poor quality control and poor parts construction, I listen and spend the very limited amount of cash I have on something I’m less likely to regret purchasing. JMO YMMV.

4 Likes