Ammunition storage

Hey everyone!

I know sometimes I start to run out of room for my ammunition and I’m sure many of you have already known this little trick so this will be more gauged towards the newer people.

The can on the right has 700 rounds of 9mm ammo in it and not one more box will fit. The can on the left has 700 rounds of 9mm ammo in it too. See the big difference in the amount of space saved?
I’m going to guess that you could fit 2,000 rounds of lose ammunition in a .50 BMG ammo can. This will make it so your ammo cans are more productive storage wise!

So what are the ways you store ammo?
Do you think that there is an even better way?

14 Likes

15 Likes

switchpod great tip thanks for passing it on👍

9 Likes

@Tactical_Reviews perfect example of good clean ammunition storage!

8 Likes

Thank you @SAK I appreciate it!

8 Likes

10 Likes

My Preciousss! (ammo storage)

The only negative I see to emptying the boxes is that it makes it hard to speed load mags. I use an ETS mag loader and ammo left in the holders it’s not more than 10 seconds to load a 30 round mag’ if one isn’t in a hurry. As a reloader I use Dillon 100 rnd boxes (after gauging every round, 100 at a time) which are even better at speed loading mags. I never tried to put them in .50 cal cans but they still won’t be as efficient as loose bulk storage.

9 Likes

I started doing the same thing. The boxes in my safe took up so much room. I dumbed each bend into its own ammo can and tore the end of each box off and sat it in the mmo can so I’ll know what it is. Labels on the outside as well for quick glance to what’s in each

10 Likes

I have a 20mm can full of 22 ammo, I put what rounds a one gallon Ziploc bag will hold and filled up can, after 6-7 years the ammo looks brand new…

9 Likes

@BrianK now this is a great counter point.
The speed loaders I have, the ammunition is dumped into a hopper and the action of the lever loads the magazine.

I can see owning a ETS the “bulk can storage would greatly slow down magazine load time.

7 Likes

@rjburk great idea!!!

7 Likes

I’ve seen the Magpump. If that’s what you have how do you like it?

I don’t know if it’ll work for me though, my most used mags today are PCC (think sub’gun) mags mostly. I see that Magpump doesn’t mention mag retainers for my PCC mags. Maybe in time they will.

https://magpump.com/products/handgun-magazine-loaders/9mm-luger-magazine-loader#retainers

The little I shoot 9mm handgun I use an UPLula. Bulk storage would work great for that tool.

For 5.56 I put them all in stripper clips and lay them in like sardines for super efficient storage.

8 Likes

Yes, just the boxes take up a lot of space!

9 Likes

went from only being able to fit 200 rounds of 308 in the Box, to holding 360 rounds without.

9 Likes

9 Likes

Yeah, I own the 5.56, and the 7.62x39 mag pumps.
The 7.62 also works for 5.45x39!

8 Likes

This is what I do as well when I bulk store ammo.

I learned it years and years ago from an old lady who sold nothing but ammo at the local gun show. She sold all her ammo in thick clear plastic bags. Each bag had a box end torn off and placed inside so I asked, what gives? She said she could get more ammo in her truck to bring to the show this way. Me: light bulb… “ON”. :slight_smile:

I must add I’ve made one mistake by doing this. I had a bunch of 40 cal Lawman 165g in an ammo can and threw in a couple boxes of what I thought was the same. Turns out the stuff I mixed in was 180g. It didn’t take long to figure out, but those were some interesting mags I went through at the range when I made the discovery. :flushed:

13 Likes

Ha!!!

Bang,Bang,Pow!,Bang,Pow!

Yeah that would be fun!

11 Likes

FYI, Palmetto State has 168 and 175g FGMM for $18.99 this week.

7 Likes

:heart_eyes: :ammo:thank you!!

6 Likes