Amy Coney Barrett Thinks the Second Amendment Prohibits Blanket Bans on Gun Possession by People With Felony Records

13 Likes

as it should
no where does it say you lose your rights with a criminal conviction and having served your time.
I do recall something about losing some of your rights while incarcerated

13 Likes

Dittos. Her position is correct. The problem with it is that when they misuse their freedom and get blown away it’s far too easy to get sued. We need a national law giving immunity for righteous shootings.

14 Likes

Joe Biden thinks the Second allows the banning of all firearms from all people, as did rbg.

DSA/dnc IS the greatest enemy of the USA in the world…next to the scotus!!! And they will prove it in November!

13 Likes

Absolutely. …and no, I am not a felon who has had my rights restored.

10 Likes

Her conclusion:

History is consistent with common sense: it demonstrates that legislatures have the power to prohibit dangerous people from possessing guns. But that power extends only to people who are dangerous .

I agree.

7 Likes

Jewish law had a slightly different angle. It didn’t ban possession of weapons, but it forbade giving or selling a weapon to a person known to be violent. It also forbade giving or selling such a person weapons-grade steel. The prohibition, though, was on the provider, not on the criminal or the object.

7 Likes

I do not encourage this law against transfers to violent persons today, because when that law was written, it was a rabbinical stricture intended to be enforced by a G.d-fearing court.

Today’s secular government is more powerful and less trustworthy. They would use a vulnerable database with little oversight, and would not care to re-categorize those who have reformed their lives. Worst of all, by recording who has what weapon and where, it would lay the groundwork for a confiscation.

6 Likes

I believe in the warrior christian mindset, Christianity is plagued with weak pacifist leaders though. Gun control is a growing trend among these pacifist cowards , I dont consider them much of anything but weak people. I do not even respect them as a Christian, they are a mockery to it if anything.

Is the Jewish community mostly progressive or conservative?

4 Likes

By numbers over the country, I estimate it’s about 3-to-1 in favor of progressives. It varies depending on the synagogue. I think my synagogue is about 3:1 the other way, in favor of conservatives.

I know one married couple who are split politically, but the progressive wife was grateful to us for giving her husband an outlet to discuss politics.

5 Likes

I find it it interesting that the 2A is not at all - all encompassing. Case in point a person who has been convicted and served their time and has no court ordered prohibitions in Canada can get his PAL/Rpal. This privilege in the USofA once lost is never returned. A person even with treated mental health illness issues can get their firearms license in Canada, but this is denied to my southern cousins.
Even amoung the non-convicted members on this forum felt that once convicted you lose that right for ever. This creates a definite class system and maybe even more racist (assuming race conviction rates are accurate).
Why haven’t your Firearm groups advocating for the repeal of some of these archaic and dated federal laws. The biggest answer is people will lose money if they are repealed (that and the taxes that were created by those laws)

5 Likes

I find myself conflicted on this issue . I know people that were convicted of second degree murder and manslaughter that I would have no problem letting them have guns . But I also know people that have never been convicted of anything that I don’t think need them at all .

5 Likes

Pretty compelling in any prosecution no doubt, to achieve compliance with whatever is prescribed by the DA

4 Likes

what compliance? you have served your time, regardless there is a mandatory firearms prohibition for life for a vast amount of felonies.

3 Likes

Compliance while being prosecuted with threat of felonious conviction that denies firearms possession

4 Likes

My view on this is changing.

3 Likes