Anniversary of the USA PATRIOT Act

On October 26, 2001, the USA PATRIOT Act was signed into effect, it’s a textbook example of how the United States federal government expands its power. The act was passed in the dead of night, with little to no oversight, in a panic after the biggest attack on American soil since Pearl Harbor.

Yet though this Act was designed to fight terrorism, why does it expand the government’s power to investigate virtually everyone else?

For the full story on the USA PATRIOT Act, check out our article

The USA PATRIOT Act: The Story of an Impulsive Bill that Eviscerated America’s Civil Liberties" and let us know what you think. We don’t allow commenting on our site due to all the moderation which trolls, bots, etc. take up, but we do read what other Full30 users say.

Also, check out:

Edward Snowden on the Joe Rogan Experience talking about mass surveillance post-9/11 for even more info on this topic. It’s worth a listen.

10 Likes

Wouldn’t the early colonists who fought for independence be considered terrorists to the Crown?

By those standards what would today’s patriots be?

Don’t forget its an act.

7 Likes

Terrorist or patriot, all depends on what side you’re on when the fighting stops.

6 Likes

That Snowden podcast is much watch! I could have cared less about his life story side of it but he gives insight to the abuses of the establishment that are never discussed in the MSM. We need to support bringing him home without charges, he would be an excellent spokesman for the cause of Liberty. Assange is another we need to support, the man has been tortured by the establishment for a reason, he is a threat to their agenda!

5 Likes

Doesn’t this prove the Republican Party is just a dangerous as the Democrats when it comes to expanding government power?

8 Likes

I would say they are even more dangerous and culpable for the expansion of government. The “conservative” wing of the establishment has built up the infrastructure that will allow for the control of the people. At some point this weapon they have created will be aimed at the people.

6 Likes

I’ll try and fit it in, seen it was not short, does it go along with the movie do you know?

I did watch that and it too was a must watch

4 Likes

Never saw the movie, I tend to avoid fiction that mimics reality, I much prefer first person information.

4 Likes

Just had this conversation on another site. Got into it with a cop over 3 percenters being a “terror group”. Got pretty ugly, tbh.

Kind of but terrorists can still still be terrorists even if they won the war. A freedom fighter might have some civilian casualties but its not their intention unlike a terrorist who has no issue with mass murder to further their agenda. Terrorist tactics could/would actually hurt a legitimate freedom fighters cause. Its counter productive, really. It can come down to perspective but fundamentally there are a few differences in their tactics and goals.

http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/politics/difference-between-terrorist-and-freedom-fighter/

"A terrorist is viewed as a person who uses fear in a bid to motivate the civilians so that they can behave in a certain political manner. A terrorist uses as much fear and terror as possible to cow the civilians so that they can tow their same line of ideological thinking.

On the other hand, a freedom fighter is regarded as a person who acts on behalf of civilians usually oppressed to ensure that they get their liberty and freedom."

Key Characteristics of a Freedom Fighter

A freedom fighter primarily fights to remove oppression that often comes in the form of colonialism where another state colonizes the other state. A freedom fighter is committed to liberate the oppressed through armed struggle in most cases where the aim is to remove the oppressive system. Many nations have come into being after protracted battles with the oppressors.

Freedom fighters often come from marginalized groups who have been deprived of something very important to them like their land, political freedom and economic equality and this may also include their sovereignty.

Therefore, the major goal of a freedom fighter is to reacquire something that rightfully belongs to them but is in the hands of the oppressors.

A freedom fighter usually targets military bases and assets as well as other agents of the government.

The main idea is to force the government into action to take corrective measures to address the sentiments raised by the freedom fighters. The overall idea is to target the oppressive system with the major goal being attainment of liberty.

A freedom fighter is satisfied by positive outcomes after a struggle for something.

For instance, in a struggle for political freedom, a ceasefire is called when the warring groups have found common ground and have agreed to stop fighting. When the conflict is about land, consensus is reached at the end and fighting stops between the groups involved."

Key Characteristics of a Terrorist

A terrorist has an agenda to assert his own world view on the other groups of people as politically correct and should be followed by the targeted people.

A terrorist has his own political or religious ideologies that he thinks are correct and he uses fear to assert these on civilians in most cases. It can thus be seen that terrorists are mainly driven by cruel agendas.

Report this ad

A terrorist is an organized person and usually belongs to a rich group. Terrorists can come from well up groups that are characterised by rich and wealthy people. These have the financial resources to acquire weapons that are used in committing heinous crimes on different groups of people.

The terrorists have sinful motives and they use different tactics to instill fear among the targeted groups to achieve their desired goals.

Terrorists are mainly concerned with destroying rather than acquiring something. Terrorist groups are different from organized freedom movements that are driven by the desire to gain liberty from the oppressors.

The main reason behind terrorism is destructive envy. These people want to cause extensive destruction to property and cruelty to people as much as they can.

A terrorist is someone who specifically targets civilians and non combative people. Terrorists often target places that are frequented by civilians such as restaurants, churches, schools as well as cinema and other places for leisure.

Terrorists use fear in their operations such as cruel beatings, kidnapping and murder to ensure that they coerce the civilians to act according to the interests of the regime.

The major goal of terrorism is terror and for that reason, a terrorist is never satisfied from his cruel actions. The actions of a terrorist are driven by the endless envy to cause as much pain and suffering as possible among the targeted groups.

This means that a terrorist can never reach a stage of satisfaction from his sinister agenda."

6 Likes

That suxs, really no different than saying the police are, both are men loyal to their country ( I hope)

4 Likes

The patriot act was the very piece of legislation that made me absolutely hate Bush. I’m still amazed this ever passed and still to this day wonder how in the flying hell can you claim it to be constitutional

6 Likes

I havnt looked at the specifics but didnt Bush declare a state of emergency essentially removing the constitutional barricades in passing this?

I agree though the Patriot act was a very bad thing for us Americans, Bush imo was just as bad as Obama and only slightly better than Clinton,imo.

4 Likes

Not a chance, a declaration of war by congress does not negate the constitution, unless we allow it, and like the scared ignorant children most Americans have become we did allow it.

5 Likes

Didnt they issue a state of emergency for katrina then use that as grounds to do whatever they wanted? Or was that more of a state thing?

3 Likes

They can declare anything they want, doesn’t make it constitutional. Problem we have is our representatives in government are either spineless or part of the establishment. They will continue to make whatever declarations they want as long as the people stand for it.

6 Likes

Both sides are the same side! Too fucking late if folks haven’t figured that out yet…

5 Likes

The late Harry Browne said it well.
Anyone who wants an important position in government can’t be trusted with it.

8 Likes

Best JRE podcast I’ve seen! Snowden’s description of the “deep state” (i.e. lifers in the federal govt. who outlast any presidency) made so much sense.

3 Likes

John C. Calhoun, The 7th Vice President of the United States

“A power has risen up in the government greater than the people themselves, consisting of many, and various, and powerful interests, combined into one mass, and held together by the cohesive power of the vast surplus in the banks.” (source)

Robin Cook, Former British Foreign Secretary

“The truth is, there is no Islamic army or terrorist group called Al-Qaeda, and any informed intelligence officer knows this. But, there is a propaganda campaign to make the public believe in the presence of an intensified entity representing the ‘devil’ only in order to drive TV watchers to accept a unified international leadership for a war against terrorism. The country behind this propaganda is the United States.” (source)

John F. Hylan, Mayor of New York City from 1918-1925

“The real menace of our Republic is the invisible government, which like a giant octopus sprawls its slimy legs over our cities, states and nation . . . The little coterie of powerful international bankers virtually run the United States government for their own selfish purposes. They practically control both parties . . . [and] control the majority of the newspapers and magazines in this country. They use the columns of these papers to club into submission or drive out of office public officials who refuse to do the bidding of the powerful corrupt cliques which compose the invisible government. It operates under cover of a self-created screen [and] seizes our executive officers, legislative bodies, schools, courts, newspapers and every agency created for the public protection.” (source)(source)

Senator Daniel K. Inouye, highest ranking Asian-American politician in United States history

“There exists a shadowy government with its own Air Force, its own Navy, its own fundraising mechanism, and the ability to pursue its own ideas of the national interest, free from all checks and balances, and free from the law itself.” (source)

David Steele, the second-highest ranking civilian in the U.S. Marine Corps Intelligence and a former CIA clandestine services officer

“Most terrorists are false flag terrorists, or are created by our own security services. In the United States, every single terrorist incident we have had has been a false flag, or has been an informant pushed on by the FBI. In fact, we now have citizens taking out restraining orders against FBI informants that are trying to incite terrorism. We’ve become a lunatic asylum.” (source)

Theodore Roosevelt. former President of the United States

“Political parties exist to secure responsible government and to execute the will of the people.

From these great tasks both of the old parties have turned aside. Instead of instruments to promote the general welfare, they have become the tools of corrupt interests which use them impartially to serve their selfish purposes. Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.” (source)

Senator William Jenner

“Today the path to total dictatorship in the U.S. can be laid by strictly legal means … We have a well-organized political-action group in this country, determined to destroy our Constitution and establish a one-party state … It operates secretly, silently, continuously to transform our Government … This ruthless power-seeking elite is a disease of our century… This group … is answerable neither to the President, the Congress, nor the courts. It is practically irremovable.” (source)

Woodrow Wilson, former President of the United States

“Since I entered politics, I have chiefly had men’s views confided to me privately. Some of the biggest men in the United States, in the field of commerce and manufacture, are afraid of something. They know that there is a power somewhere so organized, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that they better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it.” (source)

Eric H. May, a former U.S. Army military intelligence and public affairs officer

“The easiest way to carry out a false flag attack is by setting up a military exercise that simulates the very attack you want to carry out. As I’ll detail below, this is exactly how government perpetrators in the US and UK handled the 9/11 and 7/7 “terror” attacks, which were in reality government attacks blamed on ‘terrorists.’ ” (source)

Professor Lance deHaven-Smith, Professor Emeritus of Public Administration and Policy, Florida State University

“SCADs [which refers to State Crimes Against Democracy] involve high-level government officials, often in combination with private interests, that engage in covert activities for political advantages and power.” (source)(source)

President John F. Kennedy

“The very word ‘secrecy’ is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and to secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are cited to justify it. Even today, there is little value in opposing the threat of a closed society by imitating its arbitrary restrictions. Even today, there is little value in insuring the survival of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it. And there is very grave danger that an announced need for increased security will be seized upon by those anxious to expand its meaning to the very limits of official censorship and concealment. That I do not intend to permit to the extent that it is in my control. . . .

For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies primarily on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence–on infiltration instead of invasion, on subversion instead of elections, on intimidation instead of free choice, on guerrillas by night instead of armies by day. It is a system which has conscripted vast human and material resources into the building of a tightly knit, highly efficient machine that combines military, diplomatic, intelligence, economic, scientific and political operations.

Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried, not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed.” (source)

7 Likes

Pretty sure you’re trying to ruin my day and it’s too dang early for that

5 Likes