Another 2011 build

What are your opinions on aluminum frames? Are they good enough to last for a lifetime or just cheap enough to get by?

8 Likes

Yeah, it seems everyone is sold out of FLDC 80% frames. If you can get 100%, you could go with that Jem frame. They also have 2011 frames.

Back when 1911builders had their FLDC steel frames i built one. But those were 1911 slim the entire length. The Jem ones (even though single stack) are wider at the front and only 1911 slim at the back.

On mine the frame is narrower than the slide.

Untitled

13 Likes

I donā€™t think aluminum frames are necessarily bad, obviously not as strong as steel but I have shot the poo out of a Para P14 and also my little Kimber Ultra Cary 45, no signs of wear or strength related issues.
The Hellfire frame had some spec issues, trigger ways extended clear out the back of the frame, had to try several trigger bars to find one that had an acceptable fit (Wilson)
The cut between the horns for the hammer/ grip safety was not on center line of frame or P/C cut, didnā€™t notice until after I cut the rails so took some messing around there, probably wouldnā€™t have even noticed except for the hammer was full width top to bottom. Had to shave couple thou off one side of the upper half of the hammer.

Eye Candy, Nice! Thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about. What did you end up doing for sights?

12 Likes

I think it was fiberoptic front and black U rear. I havenā€™t seen it in a couple of years. :wink:

9 Likes

That Jem frame is nice. Like the extra width.

9 Likes

Yup, and the price is not bad.

BTW, sorry for kidnapping the thread. 2011s are cool, but the grips can get expensive especially when you go metal on those.

I was just pointing out that a really cool slab look can be had with a single stack.

And as far as slides go, look at TR-Enabling

10 Likes

Last 2 slides came from them. Good tolerances good finish and clearly the product of high quality sharp tooling.

9 Likes

getting some parts rounded upā€¦

12 Likes

VytamenC frames looked kind of like that
Also didnā€™t have grip screw bushing holes.
But good job finding it

8 Likes

Nice. Started my officer build. Canā€™t do much until my knee replacement heals better so I can get out to my shop

10 Likes

That sounds painful. Get better soon!

9 Likes

Did an image search on Google, only saw 1911 builders and STI Master series.
VytamenC is also good stuff, have a tac rail SS of his waiting for a future build.
Too many builds, not enough timeā€¦

10 Likes

Gonna take months before I can walk again but that hasnā€™t stop me from building just at a slower pace. Thanks for the good wishes.

10 Likes

Ready to head out this weekend for some test firing. Things should go well.

14 Likes

They sure should, wait, I havenā€™t given you my mailing address yet :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

9 Likes

Lol

8 Likes

Looks like you put sights on it since the last photo.
Waiting for the range report

9 Likes

All depends on my knee situation. If I can last 2 hours without pain Iā€™ll give it a try

10 Likes

Do you have a spot where you can shoot it sitting down?

9 Likes

Not really. The indoor range is stand-up only plus I canā€™t drive for another couple of months

9 Likes