Any “Black Autumn” Readers?

Anyone read “Black Autumn” from the Readyman series? I just finished reading it and really enjoyed it.

I’ve read stories about true individual feats of survival before, and I’ve also seen my share of apocalyptic, collapse-of-society fictionalized movies before. But this book was a real eye opener for me. So much so that I was wondering what other Black Autumn fans’ thoughts were.

I suppose if this thread takes off, we might want to add there may be some spoiler alerts for those who haven’t read it yet and are interested in doing so.

5 Likes

I enjoyed it very much. Got me thinking of a couple of internal conflicts that are better thought through before they arise.

5 Likes

It was pretty good. Think there are 3 books in the series. Travelers being the last one

6 Likes

I definitely want to read the other books! I knew about Travelers but didn’t know about the other one. I’ll have to look it up.

Spoiler Alert Below!!!

I really liked reading and learning about calculating food calories and amounts of food per person, even getting down to the details of grain and production in greenhouse plots. Also liked reading about some of the tactics used, such as what Chad employed while traveling cross country to get to the Homestead. And I thought the makeshift “armor” the Latigos used with the bulldozer and frontend loader in the final battle was brilliant, but the makeshift trash-bag-gasoline mix to counter at least the front one was more so. Makes me wonder if the author actually saw something like that in real life during one of his overseas missions.

There were other important lessons the book had, too, such as the need for clean water and how quickly a drinking water source can get contaminated. And then of course there is the main lesson of the need to be prepared for such an event, such as with food storage.

But I thought the book also deserves a bit of critiquing, as much as a book of fiction like this can be critiqued to begin with. For one, I thought the collapse came way too quick. It’s possible a major societal collapse could occur like that, but given the scenarios provided, my uneducated guess is that it would take much longer than that. There are other things worth critiquing if we decide to belabor that issue, but I’m guessing the author may have wanted to place his audience into the apocalyptic stage relatively quickly in the story in order to bring about all the gory details of life in the new chaos that befell our once great and comfortable society.

3 Likes

The 2nd book was sent via email link. PDF was the way I have it. Couldn’t get it to send to my Kendle. I need to go back and finish that one. Started reading something else and kind of forgot about it till thus thread came up.

4 Likes

Oh, so it’s only available as an online download?

3 Likes

Looks like maybe thats the case

3 Likes

Here’s reviews for it:

4 Likes

If I remember correctly there was a code in the Black Autumn paperback book that allowed me to download travelers for free

3 Likes

I just checked on Amazon and there is a 4th called “The Last Airforce One”.

4 Likes

Not yet. I am still trying to figure out how I can get my Kindle version of the book signed though :thinking:

4 Likes

Didn’t know there are now 4 of them already. Good to know!

3 Likes

Spoiler Alert!!!

What did y’all think about how quickly society collapsed in Black Autumn? That part was the hardest for me to swallow. Of course, it’s quite possible a society like ours can collapse so quickly. But I think it would take longer for such a total collapse.

I’m reminded of my past experiences with hurricanes. As most know, a devastating hurricane can affect phone service and water, sewer and electrical supply for days if not weeks for a large geographic region. In fact, the US Territory of Puerto Rico suffered the same for months on end. Although a few bad characters looted in the immediate aftermath of these hurricanes, for the most part folks pooled together, helped each other out and survived without society turning into some kind of Mad Max/Lord of the Flies violent mayhem.

Then again, the premise of the story centers on a cause different from a hurricane’s destruction. And of course, we can’t have the story the author is trying to tell without there being a major collapse, whatever the cause may be.

I’m guessing my subconscious is still in denial that something like this could happen, which is why I’m bringing the subject up. What are y’all’s thoughts?

3 Likes

When we were without power for about a week everyone was pretty decent but we knew it was temporary and still had water coming out of the tap so those would probably be a couple determining factors. Our camping gear went a long way that week. I think it would take longer to get to where the book goes but I believe the author wanted to get to the meat of the story quickly so with that in mind I was good with it. Based on your observation a book you may enjoy is One Second After. Spoiler alert ; people do work together but there are also others who aren’t so friendly because of the situation. I really enjoyed it and it also has a second and possibly third book.

3 Likes