Any experience with a Ruger Blackhawk 30

I like having a carbine and pistol with the same caliber. I already have the Ruger PC in 9mm to go with my XDs. I have a 30 carbine and last week a customer was in the shop and said he had a Blackhawk 30 to get rid of. At that time I didn’t know the Blackhawk even came in 30 cal… When he gets back in town next week we’re going to talk. I’d love to have a pistol in that caliber but don’t know how that Blackhawk handles. I had seen the Auto Mag but won’t spend the bucks to get one. So, anyone got anything good or bad to pass on about that pistol? I’d love to hear what you have to say.
Thanks,
Mike

2 Likes

Loudest pistol I have ever fired! A friend had one we would play with had to use plugs and muffs to shoot it.

2 Likes

I have shot 1. Never owned 1. Loud loud loud. Fun to shoot.

1 Like

Being a M1 carbine owner I would love to have one of those revolvers

1 Like

I have a Ruger Blackhawk. It is a big, heavy gun (as far as handguns go). Mine has the 6.5 inch barrel, is in .357 mag, and weighs 48 ounces (which makes it heavier than the Ruger GP100 6 inch barrel in .357 mag.).

Have heard about the blast of a .30 carbine caliber Blackhawk - quite a lot of it, is what I keep hearing. However, the handgun itself should be able to handle it just fine. Just depends on what you can handle.

1 Like

Love the Blackhawk family. I learned to shoot a pistol with a Ruger Superblackhawk in .44 Mag. Uncle hand loaded and worked us all up from mild to extreme. I love the way blackhawks roll in your hand under recoil.

They now make the BH in 10mm so they combine two of my favorite things. The siren song she be calling again.

2 Likes

Well, the Blackhawk showed up today. I was out of the shop but he left it there for me to look over. It’s NIB and he says it has never been fired. That really doesn’t mean anything to me because I’m not looking for a collectable. I want to shoot it. I am puzzled by a plastic ring around the back of the cylinder. It sits in a groove, so I know it came that way. It blocks the chambers all the way around. I can only guess it is there to prevent loading (accidentally, if that is possible) and if a round was in the chamber it seems like it would prevent the firing pin from striking the primer. I am by no means very knowledgeable about what might be with this thing. Hopefully one of you can shed some light on it.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

2 Likes

That’s the way Ruger ships the single actions. Most people throw that little piece of plastic away.

4 Likes

Thanks,
I was just curious as to what it was for.

1 Like

Hmmmmm, suddenly I have a hankerin for some pineapple slices.

3 Likes