Any opinions on the Milwaukee M12 tool line?

Not related to garage stuff but its tool related.

Anyhow, do you any of you guys have experience with Milwaukee’s 12v M12 line of tools?

Basically I am a production lead/supervisor at my job but I work with the maintenance guys quite a bit. I found myself hanging off the side of a boon lift working on some machinery and couldnt help but think I want some lighter more compact power tools. The drill, right side angle grinder, and cut off tool look rather interesting but I dont know much about them. Opinions?

6 Likes

if you are set on Big Red go the M18 route, and chose the Fuel (brushless). There is a new line coming out and that’s the M18 surge.
nothing wrong with the 20v dewalts either if you go brushless and flex (20/60v) allowing you to expand to some heavy duty stuff.
Makita make some nice stuff but they seem to be resting on their corded laurels when it comes to the cordless stuff.

5 Likes

I’ve been running those for years and well sold, even larger items I originally doubted, chop box, table saw etc, I have batteries with crumbling plastic but still working

Never been much for that brand but bet you’ll be happy if you go with it, good tools require good investment, buy it for yourself from your kids for Christmas. they’ll be happy to give them to you :hugs:

Crazy but we have a lot of Amish around here and they use both, I have seen way more using Dewalt though

6 Likes

I am considering a new Dewalt 18v too as its what the maintenance guys use. I am just curious how the 12v stuff holds up in comparison.

3 Likes

I have an old Makita but I would rather keep that for home use. For work I want something new. Dewalt and Milwaukee seem to be what all the cool kids use. I see a few Hilti and Rigid impacts around too. I have heard Rigid is for red haired step children though.

4 Likes

Wonder what my boss will say if I start flipping this around at work?

4 Likes

Already antiquated, you might as well hit craigslist or pawn shops for that, I dumped all mine, complete set up for pretty much nothing when I went 20v, I expect many others do as well, way better tech

4 Likes

Are the 20v hammer drills?

4 Likes

I used to have Milwaukee, but they become obsolete rapidly and then try to find parts to keep them going. Case in point, brushes. I had to scrap a perfectly good driver/drill and batteries because brushes were made of unobtainium. No more Milwaukee for me.

I’ve switched to Makita who appears to care about keeping their tools working for decades and not years.

Planned obsolescence really pisses me off esp’ when it’s my $ being spent.

5 Likes

There’s 20v everything, whatever you want and then some

4 Likes

Whens the last time you shopped for a refrigerator?

J-U-N-K

4 Likes

I am getting trained in refrigeration at work, you should hear the guy training me go on about amonia being superior to freon. Lol

4 Likes

Sounds like you really stepped up your employment from a couple years ago :clap:

Next time he starts up, strongly agree, and stick with it, on how he’s right, that ice cubes made in ammonia freezers taste much better, are smoother, and last longer in your glass compared to freon, have fun with it :grin:

4 Likes

Covid really left jobs desperate for workers. The place I work is a new buisness and always super short on workers. Everytime we get down time. I volunteer to learn a new area. It has really paid off in terms of making myself valuable to the company.

4 Likes

Im confused by this.

Milwaukee’s m18 is 18 volt and uses the same cells as Dewalts 20v , right around 18650. Would the output be the same?

3 Likes

Can’t speak to the Milwaukee stuff, perhaps, I was referring to 18v DeWalt tools

4 Likes

Damn , drill discussions are as bad as 1911 discussions. Maybe I should be more superficial, perhaps I should go off of color. :rofl:

4 Likes

think of the V as cylinders on a engine - 18v is more powerful than 12v. The funny thing is I use both the yellow and red - and have found that the Red seems to have a little bit more torque (and they do come in a 1" impact) that the yellow ones don’t have available yet.
Also when checking the “power” that these tools have they used the big amp hour batteries to achieve it (prime example is my 20v impact running a 2 ah battery can barely break 80 ftlbs but run it with the 5 ah battery does 140 ftlbs all day long. Another thing you will notice is the less than commercial/pro stuff tends to get rated in inch lbs compared to foot lbs (just divide by 12 to go from inlbs to ftlbs.
check out project farm on ut - he has run some pretty good comparisons

5 Likes

We tried them all and the only ones that would hold up were the dewalt 20v . Lots of farmers use the inpacts to change tractor tires and brush hog blades and we use them on every machine we work on .

5 Likes

I have one and literally have change tractor tires, broken impact sockets and bolts and favor it over pneumatic impacts for power

4 Likes