Any suggestions on trigger pin walking out?

I have a year old plus SA xde that the trigger pin walks out a little after shooting 50 or more rds. I’ve already sent it back once and they replaced it. But today it was protruding out the side of the frame about an eighth of an inch. Glue it?

3 Likes

Put a drop of blue locktite on it.

2 Likes

Yes I tried that before it went back to the factory. I’m leaning to more permanent glue.

3 Likes

If you’re very careful, you can mar up the surface of the pin a little bit, just to give it something to bite on. Another option, but I’d leave it to a gunsmith, use a punch to dent the edge of the hole just a tiny bit to make the hole a tad smaller to bite on to the pin. That area will need a touch of bluing.

2 Likes

Yes I was considering that already. It’s all plastic there, frame and pin. I was also considering a soldering iron, just a touch on both sides.Don’t want to mar it too bad. This would be a last resort.

4 Likes

can you slightly mush/flatten an end of the pin?

5 Likes

The trigger pin is actually plastic?

If so, I’d do exactly as Robert said, and you stated…I’d use a soldering iron, or heat gun (or lighter near, not on) on the ends of the pin to mushroom them out a bit to make a tighter fit. Pretty much the same technique used for fiber optic sights but less radical lol.

4 Likes

I just got done putting locktite on it. The pin is steel and I accidentally pushed the pin with a thin pin punch and it slide right out. So while it was out I covered it with a light film of L’tite and pushed it back in. There’s a ring of the 'tite around the end of the pin. So we’ll see. Saturday we have a group of guys from church getting together to shoot so that will be a test.

3 Likes

Good luck!
Let us know how it goes. If that fails, clean it up really good and try a very small dab of 5 minute epoxy. Guarantee that will work.

4 Likes

And trade it in towards another pistol, preferably a steel frame pistol!

3 Likes

When you install that pin, do you hear a click?
The pins have grooves in them to be caught by springs or slide stop lever like on a Glock. If the groove is on one side of the pin only, try flipping the pin around.

5 Likes

I can’t say I heard a click but the groove goes all the way around the pin. I thought about using my Dremel and making the groove deeper but decided not because the cutting wheel isn’t thin enough. I’ll wait and see how the Locktite holds.

2 Likes

What I meant is that you either have 2 grooves (doesnt matter which end of the pin goes to which side of the frame) or 1 groove in which case it would matter which end of the pin goes to which side. Think of it as ambidextrous pins versus pins that work properly when the groove is on the right or left side of the frame exclusively.

Normally, when the pin is grooved, and either a spring or slide stop lever should ride in that groove (soft capturing the pin in position) you should be able to see them protrude into the pin hole slightly. And the pin should very slightly “fight” on the way into the hole because of it.

If the pin goes into the hole without any resistance whatsoever, the spring or part that should capture it is either missing, deformed, or positioned incorrectly.

So when you take the pin out, take a look through the hole and see if anything is just slightly peeking into it, making it less perfectly round, etc. If not, that is the problem and you should see why nothing is capturing a grooved pin.

If you look through the hole and see a spring or slide stop lever peeking in (holes not aligned) then that side of the gun is where the groove should be on (if you only have a groove on one end of the pin)

Loctite is not the best solution imho.

Can you let us know if the pin is grooved on both ends , and are the grooves positioned symmetrically on the pin, or if there is a groove on just one end of the pin?

3 Likes

Yes I only have a one sided grooved pin. I didn’t take the pin out all the way last night. I can see the retaining clip from the top but that’s all. I will try the Locktite for now and wait to see if it works. Next will be epoxy or something else. But good info thanks. I don’t want to deform the frame hole to accomplish a fix. Maybe there are replacement pins that work better… I really like the gun and won’t get rid of it for this.

2 Likes

I’ve got rid of better for less, sold a walther once as soon as I got it for a conditional hold on my nics, soured my taste for it

lots of guns to sample :blush:

2 Likes

Then before trying anything else, take the pin out, flip it around so the groove will go toward the other side of the gun and reinsert the pin. If/when you hear and feel it click into place, your problem is gone. Don’t use loctitie.

If you are worried about things jumping out when you remove the pin, use a punch to get the pin out, flip the pin around and use it to push the punch out.

4 Likes

I just looked and the pin and it’s in the right way( according to video of disassembly). I do hear a click, clunk or whatever sound when reinserting it.

3 Likes

Alright, then if you are sure it is inserted correctly (which video is it by the way?) then if the pin keeps walking out I would say send it back to SA for repair.

4 Likes

I can’t wait till we gin into business together ahahahahahha

3 Likes

Or buy a tad larger pin
You could use red loctite bit it will never come out again
Make S.A. give you a new frame
They will if you complain enough
Just my .02

4 Likes