Anybody here build a 2011 out of one of these out-of-spec frames?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/904393683

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/904665367

The description states " Like the others, it slightly out of spec, but can be used - the dust cover is slightly heavier on one side, so one side might need to be shaved down some if you want it to be perfect. If memory serves me correctly, I believe there was a plunger hole that was too shallow and needs to be drilled a little bit deeper. The fixes are in the forums and are easy to do."

I’m curious if anyone has first hand knowledge with one of these and what is required to get it proper. It mentions fixes “in the forums” but I’ll be damned if I can find any forum topics anywhere related to these frames. My google-fu may be weak. It is a model on my build bucket list and I’m always hunting a good deal. Not sure if this is a deal I want to tackle without knowing what will be involved.

Side question: what caliber would you build a 2011 in?

8 Likes

be wary when you see term “easy to do”
if it was so easy why hasn’t it been done.

8 Likes

That’s why I’m asking here, my thoughts were the same. If it requires a mill or something like that I’m out. If it’s an extra hour or two of labor with hand tools I could be down with that, depending on the skill level required. I’m willing to try if there is a moderate chance of success.

This wouldn’t be an immediate project. It’s something that I would stretch out over a period of time and piece together little by little.

8 Likes

I haven’t seen too many different 2011 frames, but I can tell you right now that with an unfinished magazine well, you would have to broach or file the rear wall flat. Currently, I don’t know how a magazine would go into even the unfinished opening on the bottom.
Looks like you have to remove the mid section of deck between those two sets of rail interrupting plunge cuts, then finish the magwell opening, and it looks like it is a N/W ramp cut so it is a bit limiting in that respect.

8 Likes

Ha, I didn’t even look at that. Looks like Black Mountain may be the way to go when it’s time for one of these builds.

8 Likes

Probably would want a milling machine to finish one of those.

8 Likes