Anyone Actually Use This Safety?

I am astonished by the number of people that own a single action revolver with this type of safety and yet had no clue it was even there. But honestly, I don’t why it is a thing anyway, does anyone actually use it?

5 Likes

I noticed on my Heritage if you don’t get that base pin just right the transfer bar will hang up. Don’t know if it was meant to be a safety or an early design flaw

7 Likes

interesting, never noticed that on any of mine. but i should see them Monday at the event in Alabama, will try to remember and ask

6 Likes

Let me know it drove me crazy til I figured it out

7 Likes

Oh you got to be kidding me…

6 Likes

about what?

5 Likes

Never had that issue with my heritage 22 but it does have a safety that prevents the hammer from falling all the way

6 Likes

I HATE that safety; my wife has one of those and I hate that gun with every fiber of my being. But she likes it and you know what they say about a happy wife. I’m just glad she likes to go to the gun shop and shoot things.

6 Likes

the safety on my heritage revovlers are not the base pin style, they are a flip switch beside the hammer that looks dumb… you talking the big bore heritage?

6 Likes

you hate a base pin style? i don’t guess i get it becuase if it is disabled, then no problems and it is pretty tough to enable them as illstrated in the video, unless you screw up putting it back together anyway.

6 Likes

Sorry, maybe being a little rude. When I first started seeing safeties on revolvers I had to just shake my head.

7 Likes

it is a real thing, seems dumb to me, but felt the need to point it out

4 Likes

well you made look at the Wife’s Chiapet
And there is one there - not sure if it works or how but once engaged and if the trigger is pulled it locks up the revolver.
Taking the cylinder out shows the firing pin will not protrude if the “safety” is engaged and the trigger pulled/hammer falls

5 Likes

there ya go

5 Likes

No, I was referring to the little lever safety on the Heritage 22, Have you seen their 22 it’s different from the 45. About the only thing I like about it is they have a better (wider) trigger instead of the old skinny little trigger on my old 45. I like the gun overall, maybe they improved them later, mine is an early one but it has a really narrow trigger, also the base pin issue seems to have gone away. Either it had a bur or I just got better at it because I took it apart last night after I wrote that and it went in and functioned fine.

4 Likes

that was the design even prior to Heritage way back when the Tex 22 (same as the rough rider) was being imported FIE and yeah, i own several, including the Tex 22 stuff, that lever is dumb both in look and in practicality

4 Likes