Anyone else losing weight?

@JohnB

I’ll send some info your way privately since some of it is personal (health history) and not for public consumption.

4 Likes

Still sticking to the Keto/low carb thing and down 25 lbs. I can almost fit in the next size down. Well I can fit, but it’s just uncomfortable when I wear my gun. So I guess that means it doesn’t fit yet. :wink:. My gun belt only has one hole left. I’ll have to get a new one soon.

5 Likes

Congrats, I did pick it up on your behalf :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

I am at 185 and having a bit of a hard time dropping below that. But I did have to take up another notch on my belt and people comment.
So much better than the 238 I was in July!
Cut back drastically on all carbs and the amount I eat. Trying to do more physical stuff.

6 Likes

That is great!

5 Likes

JTR,
It’s nice isn’t it to be able to eat just about anything without gaining weight.
Same here.

For those who want to exercise with weights, but can’t either due to injury or creaky joints, there’s an easy solution.
More reps and less weight.

After I had an emergency operation, I used very light weights, (only two ten pound bells) and thirty to fifty reps, depending on the exercise.
When I finally healed enough to get back to normal exercise, I was surprised that I hadn’t really lost much stamina or strength.

7 Likes

I identify as skinny. Im trans-slender.

7 Likes

:joy:

3 Likes

@g.willikers (et al)

I used the high reps approach for a while, averaging a thousand total reps per workout. (Though sometimes, I would hit as much as 2,000 reps total.)

That worked fine for a couple of years, but then wham! I suddenly started having serious pain in my shoulders and limited mobility in my arms. Had to go thru over 40 physical therapy sessions to get past the constant pain and achieve near-normal mobility.

Higher rep counts are fine as long as you put realistic limits on them. I now average 300 reps total and max out at 600 reps total for a workout, regardless of the weight being used. This seems to work without repercussions.

Hard to know your limits in advance, it seems!

5 Likes

A while back my wife decided WE needed to change our eating habits. SHE put US on a grain free regimen. It is not exactly Keto or anything else, just grain free. That means no wheat, no RICE(which is tough for a cajun), no corn, etc… At first the hardest thing is deciding just what to eat. We get angry and argue everytime we try to go out to eat because most places don’t offer what we are now eating. We eat a lot of meat at home and vegetables for almost everything else. We spiralize zucchini for noodles and use shreded cauliflower or broccoli for rice. It is a difficult transition at first, but we are getting used to it. We have found coconut, almond, arrow root, and other flours to make pancakes and biscuits. Getting the recipe right is the hard part, but my wife is pretty good at that. Tapioca flour makes a great roux. We found grain free crackers and frozen rolls that are really good.
So far I’ve lost a little over 10 lbs. in a few months which brings me down just under 150. I got on the scale the other day fully dressed including my EDC and hit 153, so not too bad. I don’t follow it as closely as she does, but close enough to work. Every now and then I will cheat a bit. I guess part of the weight loss is that what we are eating, though usually pretty good, is not the kind of food that that makes me want to go back for second and thirds. So I’m eating less and between that and no grain I am losing weight.

7 Likes

I love sports and exercise, but it’s hard to find the time with work and a 5 year old and a 1 year old. But last year I was able to train for a run-n-gun 10K biathlon - my first one. I didn’t really know how to train for it or what to do other than to just go jogging/running around the neighborhood. I later started jogging with weights in a backpack to simulate having to carry ammo and water. That was a whole other world. I noticed an immediate effect with that type of training (weighted backpack). I lost about 10 lbs as I worked up to jogging 7 miles with 15 to 20 pounds in a backpack about three times a week - all while eating anything and everything in sight, including lots of carbs. I also did some weight training about twice a week. All that exercise made me very hungry, and I was surprised I lost weight given how much I was constantly eating.

Anyway, I’d say just walking fast with 15 lbs of weight in a backpack would also be a good workout for those not wanting to put so much pressure on their knees by jogging. I hope to pick this routine back up again when I train for another biathlon hopefully in a few months.

8 Likes

There are many ways to lose a lot of weight fast.

However, most of them will make you hungry and unsatisfied.

If you don’t have iron willpower, then hunger will cause you to give up on these plans quickly.

The plan outlined here will:

• Reduce your appetite significantly.
  • Make you lose weight quickly, without hunger.
  • Improve your metabolic health at the same time.

Here is a simple 3-step plan to lose weight fast. (https://docsbay.net/how-to-lose-weight-fast-3-simple-steps-based-on-science)

1. Cut Back on Sugars and Starches
  2. Eat Protein, Fat and Vegetables
  3. Lift Weights 3 Times Per Week
5 Likes

I am finally down to at least 185… 20 to go. But damn, lost over 50 pounds. Crazy…
Very little sugar, hardly any starch… less volume.
I am dropping the weight slowly.
This means I also go out for ice cream and a burger. So I am not denying myself. Hahhaha

7 Likes

I was told I could lose 30 pounds of ugly fat by cutting off my head.:slightly_frowning_face:

5 Likes

That really hurted muh one feeler.

4 Likes

I’ve dropped roughly 25lbs in the past few months mostly by cutting out sugars and minimizing carbs.

6 Likes

trimming the fat off your shoulders?

5 Likes

Great! I’m sorta doing the same thing. Stalled now for a few months since we went on our trip - gained 7 lbs. :rage: Trying to stay on the wagon now. Lost 4 of what I gained, so almost back to where I was.

7 Likes

I’m now down 29lbs and 1.5 pants sizes this year on diet change alone. Got some physical ailments to get resolved which includes hip surgery before I can go back to my regular work out routine.

7 Likes

I have the same problem around family holidays and family visits but with practice it’s getting easier.

4 Likes