AR-15 Gas Ring Alignment

What!? TWO videos in TWO days? NO WAY! Don’t go getting too excited. Gonna be hard to keep up that pace. :rofl:

When installing AR gas rings, pay particular attention to the orientation of the gaps in the rings to ensure they aren’t lined up, right? We laid the scientific smack-down on this myth in the new Dark Corner Gunworks video. We know the answer, and you can, too!

Don’t forget to like, share, and subscribe. We need fans. And find us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and, obviously, Full30…because, you know, you’re here, now. And check out our podcast, Covering Fire, available on a myriad of platforms which you can find links to at anchor.fm/dark-corner-gunworks

11 Likes

I lined the gaps up years ago on an M-16 with no ill effects. i hardly ever check to see if they are mis aligned.

11 Likes

Lined them up and glued a set together for the video.

10 Likes

I performed similar experiments and my AR cycled just fine. I even had a broken gas ring and the gun still cycled. They run like the Energizer bunny.

9 Likes

I wonder if there would be a problem with a marginal pressure load? I’ll never find out.

Yeah, I was taught that about the gaps in the military in '70.

Today I use gas rings that can’t have the gaps line up. JP Enterprises has a gas ring that takes the place of the 3 rings in general use. There is simply no way for that single continuous ring to have that issue since there is no possibility of any gap, not even one.

But interesting to know that it was BS all along.

10 Likes

That could have some effects on it. like you i’ll never find out either since i don’t reload…

11 Likes

I’ve been using the McFarland style 1 piece gas rings for years and have been extremely happy with their performance/longevity.
Ring gap alignment is another one of those interesting internet topics that just never goes away…just like Frankenstein’s monster, it just keeps getting brought back from the dead :skull_and_crossbones:

10 Likes

:bump: :bump:

5 Likes

I am testing a JP gas ring right now. It was included with their enhanced bolt assembly. They tell me it has a significantly longer service life than traditional 3-ring installations. Time will tell, but it functions perfectly as expected.

JPbolt

10 Likes

Sounds like the McFarland style ring…I may have to pick up one of theirs and give it a run.
:+1:t2:
Let me know what you think of yours when you’ve given it a good test

9 Likes

It is a McFarland style…with some added JP engineering I guess. I have about 3,000 rounds through the gun with no issues.

10 Likes

Yup, I bought one of their BCG and bolts for my latest pistol build. I just figure the high pressure gas from a pistol port wanted something better than a standard BCG and bolt.

It runs fine but I’m not a high volume shooter, yet. That can change at any time nowadays.

9 Likes

I just checked my log book. I have around 2,000 rounds on the JP ring…if that matters to anyone.

11 Likes

I briefly owned a 7.5” AR that was such a nasty little overgassed pig that it blew out rings in 50-100 rounds…no kidding. I mean it absolutely wasted them. The McFarland was the only ring I could put in there that would run reliably for hundreds of rounds…and it took a beating.
Don’t own that pig anymore.
They just run and run in my carbines. Even when they’re loose and won’t pass the bolt test, they still run without a hitch.

11 Likes

May be a dumb question but how many rounds ballpark should I expect the gas rings to last? I’m just curious how high the number is and if I’ll ever reach it shooting 100 or less each trip to the range. Some months I’ll go multiple times and others I’m fortunate to go once. I’m just talking the standard rings that came with the PSA upper and no special ammo.

9 Likes

Sorry incorrect information on my part so I removed it.

7 Likes

No it’s not a dumb question. What follows is more than you asked for about gas rings.

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/shooting/rifles/ar-15-gas-rings/

10 Likes

Thank you very much, I’m going to add some gas rings to my spare parts.

9 Likes
7 Likes

OK, so my take away is not to buy stock in the gas ring companies. That was interesting.

I’d also like to see him do that grease test at -20°F. After allowing 30 minutes for the rifle to assume ambient temp’.

8 Likes