AR-15 Gas Ring Alignment

Any idea what caliber his AR is? Definitely not .223/5.56
150 grain projectiles…

8 Likes

glad to hear all of you do not have issue.
I have run into issues a LOT…
Here is why;
People like to build their own ARs…
People also like to build their ARs and have no idea what parts compatibility means.
They also like to build them and have them regulated to the fly’s butt hair on gas regulation.
Add this up, and a failed gas ring or having them all lined up starts to cause trouble.
Now,
Please remember I see all the issues. My job is to fix problems!
So… when I see problems over and over again…
Yeah…
Love the JP ring.
Oh, and a side note. The colder or the more crap that gets inside a rifle, the more critical everything becomes. :grin::+1:

8 Likes

Yup. I’ve had oil that should still lubricate at -20°F slow down the hammer and firing pin so much that it wouldn’t fire the cartridge. The solution (back then) basically remove it and run the gun dryish.

8 Likes

Most likely 300 blk.

8 Likes

I don’t like using grease on a gun anytime. that crap gets hard when it’s cold and will harden over a long time if you store it.

9 Likes

Pretty much what I thought.
Pistol gas system too I bet.

9 Likes

Failed to cycle

11 Likes

I bet…

10 Likes

I’ve seen that before. I wish I could remember where. I probably should pick up half a dozen JP rings. It had to be one of my guns that I saw it on.

10 Likes

I have a couple single rings installed that I got from Brownells, don’t remember brand. right out of the package they don’t pass the bolt test. Doesn’t seem to be an issue, but never have problems with the spec ones either, just thought I’d try them out.

10 Likes

Wow. My video really got y’all talking. Damn, guess i’ll have to come up with more stuff like this. Lol. I’m open to suggestions.

11 Likes

Wow. how many rounds? Maybe cheap rings?

10 Likes

Chicken

5 Likes

Though my suggestion was that of a very important nature & shared by many, I strive to not derail the thread

8 Likes

Doing that is a bit like a Toyota with 450,000 miles on a gas engine and won’t die, but the Corolla has a light smoke trail at every light. You are just letting gas by in a manner the engineer didn’t plan.

4 Likes

Me too…because the exact same gas ring breakage happened to me. My gun still functioned and the breakage was observed during routine cleaning. I don’t remember which brand they were. However, I do recall that the round count was low (less than 2,000). I forgot to record the event on my shooters log, so I’m not certain. After that, I only purchased gas rings from Bravo Company because of their quality control standards. I also have a few JP spares. I’m done buying the generic gas rings from Midway and others.

10 Likes

Hell if I know exactly. I just fix them. Hahahhaa

9 Likes

Great thread. Lots of good info and dialogue! :+1:

9 Likes