AR Adapter

Afternoon project
One of the brothers has a few AR-10 carbon fiber hand guards, wants to use them on AR-15s
Worked up a prototype this weekend.

Started with some thick wall 6061, bored and turned to spec and a JK Ultralight barrel nut.

Looking things over.

On to the rotary indexer for some holes and a slot. Ended up not using the larger countersinks. Just part of prototyping. Call them lightning cuts now.

Some graphite black cerakote and ready to assemble.

Never handled a really nice CF tube before, weight comparable to about three hummingbird feathers. Thing of beauty.

9 Likes

Wow! Must be nice cutting the ties to what’s available on the screen and just making what you need, I may be a tad jealous…

8 Likes

Just a hack with some tools, and imagination…

7 Likes

I’d sure appreciate a lighter AR10 :expressionless:

Think mine must be 15#'s or some madness, makes me miss my SCARH ever time I handle it

7 Likes

The BCG and buffer are a big chunk of that, and a 308 barrel is pretty beefy as well. Cut all the holes you want in the aluminum you are still stuck with some big chunks of steel. Big optics, bipod, I’ll bet mine come in the same. For comparison brought my AR 25-45 in with reasonable scope and 10 rounds in the mag at around half that.

6 Likes

Any chance they’d want to part with one?

5 Likes

Pretty sure he wouldn’t go through all this if he didn’t already have plans. I think they are RRA, pretty spendy. Maybe he will chime in…

6 Likes

A quick rule of thumb. Turning unsupported work on a lathe should never extend out past three times the diameter of the work piece. The project came out nice, though.

7 Likes

Yep. Copy that.
Unfortunately, don’t have a steady rest.
Took small passes with sharp tooling.

6 Likes

Nice work.

6 Likes

Nice work!

5 Likes

Sprayed, (back to the acetone, back to the blaster, gun wasn’t working right but like a retard I tried to power through)
Sprayed again, gun laying down a super fly spray this time, flashed, changed the hangers to different holes, sprayed the raw spots, final cure.

Pile of round things with holes.

Barrel nut. JK Ultralight with additional threaded holes to match the 308 bushing.

Sleeve

Original 308 bushing

Woo hoo…

It’s a keeper…

9 Likes

:yep:

5 Likes

That looks very nice.

5 Likes

Color me impressed… that’s bootifull!

4 Likes

I’ve got a question that may not go here, but… How important are anti-walk pins in a SHTF scenario? :thinking:

4 Likes

Way down the list.

4 Likes

Yep. That’s why I put 'em every one when I build 'em.

5 Likes

So do I, but with drop in FCG’s they are usually part of the kit.
With milspec FCG really not necessary, except for blowback guns due to the higher speed of the BCG.
Anyway, to answer the OP, I think food, fuel, and ammunition would be better to fill the bunker up with then dog bones.

5 Likes

Agree :100:. But if you can’t defend your stores they’re not yours for long after the balloon goes up.

I use cassette FCGs too, & yep they usually do come with them nowadays, I still prefer the KN anti walks.

5 Likes